Skip Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I benefit from Tri-Co?

Tri-County Upward Bound offers academic, vocational, and career counseling; access to computer-based career and post secondary educational information; a six week summer program held on campus; tutoring; assistance to parents in matters affecting the student's educational progress; monthly Saturday sessions; financial aid information and parent workshops; support in selecting and being admitted to a post-secondary institution; and field trips and cultural and recreational activities.

Am I eligible for Tri-Co?

You need to be a student at Cheatham Central, Houston Co. or Stewart Co. High School.  Also your family needs to meet government-established low-income guidelines and/or be a potential first-generation college student, which means that neither of your parents or guardians has a college degree.

How do I apply to Tri-Co?

Tri-Co normally accepts 9th and 10th graders.  Applications can be requested by E-mail, from the Tri-County Upward Bound advisor during visits to your school, or by calling 931-221-6410.  Applications are also available through the Forms link.  Additionally, you can "like" us on Facebook to receive notice of extra recruitment opportunities.   

What factors are considered before I am accepted to participate in the program?

      1. Your family's income and educational level

      2. Teacher/counselor references

      3. Academic record review showing your potential to enroll in and complete


      4. An interview with a Tri-Co advisor

      5. Your career and educational goals

What documentation do I need to qualify?

You may provide copies of W-2s, income tax statements (1040 or 1040A), SSI or Child Support Statements, or any other form of official documentation that states your annual income. To qualify, all required documentation must be received in the office before acceptance. Please feel free to contact our office with questions about your income information and our staff will personally assist you.

Why are parents required to submit financial information?*  Is this information passed on to other agencies? 

*Financial information includes tax statements, AFDC receipts, unemployment information, Social Security information, etc.

Upward Bound is a federally-funded program that requires proof of eligibility, which is the reason that these documents are requested. Personal information to prove eligibility is not forwarded or shared with others. All information is completely confidential.

What kind of commitments must students and families make if they wish to apply to the program?

The program would like to develop a strong working partnership with each student and his/her family. Therefore, it is important that the family unit consider the following: purpose of the program, services provided, time commitments for the school year and summer programs, and the importance of open communication. If the student and family wish to take advantage of all of the services and opportunities made available, they should apply.

What kinds of services are provided by Tri-Co?

       1. Career advisement

       2. Educational advisement

       3. Financial aid advisement

       4. Limited, short-term personal advisement

In addition to advising, what other types of services do you provide?

Tutoring, academic instruction, career testing, ACT registration and fee waivers, college admission fee waivers, academic advising, professional guest speakers, cultural awareness and social skills development

Do you need to be a high achieving student to be involved in the program?

Absolutely not. However, you do need to demonstrate a sincere interest in attending college, meaning that you must have a GPA between 2.00 - 3.5 and are trying to improve.

I understand that there are two components--school year and summer.  Must a student participate in both?   

Yes, the student should be available to attend Saturday sessions, tutoring, and counseling sessions during the academic year. In addition, all students who have not yet graduated from high school should make a commitment to attend and complete the summer requirements. The dates for each component are communicated to selected students (and applicants) well in advance.

Do students receive college credit for successfully completing the program? 

Yes, students will receive 6 college credit hours that may be transferred to nearly any school on completion of the Bridge Component.

Must students enroll at APSU after completion of the Bridge program?

Absolutely Not. Upward Bound students do not have to attend APSU after the completion of the Bridge Program. The Tri-Co advisor works with participants and families to identify a range of colleges and universities that will offer the curriculum, support, and financial aid needed for a successful experience.  APSU may be included in that list of prospective placements.

Does participation in Tri-Co improve my child's chances of getting into college?

Absolutely. Over 90% of Upward Bound students are admitted to college upon their high school graduation.

What if I discover that Tri-Co is not a good fit for me after I have joined?

You always have the option to withdraw from the program.  Participation in Tri-Co is completely voluntary.  However, you must regularly participate in Tri-Co events to be able to continue with the program from year to year.  In fact, if you are not committed to self-improvement and actually enrolling in college, it is best not to apply to Tri-Co.  Joining Tri-Co is a commitment to personal, academic and social growth.  At the conclusion of each Summer Session, each participant’s effort, dedication to self-improvement and academic progress is assessed by Tri-Co staff.   If your academic performance during the summer or at your high school is poor due to lack of effort, you will be dropped from the program.  Likewise, students who are chronic behavioral problems for Tri-Co staff will also be dropped from the program.