Withdraw from a Study Abroad Program
In the event that an applicant must cancel his/her planned participation in an APSU study-abroad or exchange program, the Office of Study Abroad and International Exchange must be notified immediately.
All application deposit/fees to APSU are NON-REFUNDABLE. All cancellations must be made in writing via the APSU Study Abroad and Exchange Program Online Cancellation Form (below) in order for refunds to be processed. Filling out this form will automatically notify the Office of Study Abroad and International Exchange, Financial Aid (in case you have applied for aid), and the Bursar's Office. You will still need to notify the faculty member who coordinates the program you have applied for, and withdraw your application from our Terra Dotta application system.
In the event an applicant cancels his/her planned participation in an APSU Study Abroad program, the APSU Office of International Education must be notified immediately. The level of refund for canceled program participation varies according to specific circumstances, as detailed below:
- Individuals who cancel before or on the application deadline will receive a full refund of any monies paid to the APSU study abroad program, minus the nonrefundable application fee.
- Individuals who cancel after the application deadline and before/on the first payment deadline will forfeit the non-refundable application fee and will also be responsible for any *unrecoverable expenses incurred by APSU on their behalf.
- Individuals who cancel after the first payment deadline will forfeit the non-refundable application fee plus $1500 of the program costs and will also be responsible for any *unrecoverable expenses incurred by APSU on their behalf.
- Individuals who cancel 30 days or less before the program’s scheduled departure will be responsible for the entire program costs, in addition to the loss of the non-refundable application fee.
- Participants who withdraw from or who are involuntarily removed from a program already in progress shall remain responsible for the full cost of the program.
*In order to obtain the best possible prices, APSU often must contract for goods and services such as airline tickets, housing, transportation passes, entrances, etc. far in advance of the program date. Cancellation or adjustment of these contracts will sometimes result in unrecoverable expenses.
Note: the foregoing standards also apply to applicants whose participation is involuntarily canceled by APSU due to the applicant’s failure to remain in good standing or complete required preconditions for participation, such as holding a valid passport, completing visa requirements (where applicable) in a timely fashion, and failure to confirm APSU classes
Applicants are strongly encouraged to consider purchasing trip cancellation insurance. This insurance is available through most travel agencies or by doing a web search for trip cancellation insurance. A few suggestions are: AAA, Access America, and Travel Guard Insurance (APSU does not endorse these agencies).