Being an adult learner brings issues not faced by other students but academic challenges are something everyone has to deal with. APSU has a range of services and support which can help make your academic life a little easier!
APSU has an awesome Academic Support Center which offers a range of services to all students at Austin Peay. They are located in the MARKS building, room 124.
- Peer Tutoring is free and available for most core classes and some upper division classes. You can schedule sessions in person or by calling (931) 221-6550.
- Writing Assistance is also free and will help with any paper, for any class, in any writing style. Be aware that this is more like an editing service, they will NOT help with content or write a paper for you! The Writing Center is in the library, or you can call the main ASC on (931) 221-6550 to set up an appointment.
- Online tutoring and writing lab offers the same support to both on-campus and distance education students. Contact the ASC on (931) 221-6553 or email AcademicSupportCtr@apsu.edu for more information. Tutoring is conducted through GoBoard or Skype. For online writing support you can submit papers using this form
- Workshops are available for various degree-related tests, including TEAS, GMAT, GRE, PRAXIS and COMPASS. You can find more information and scheduling directly from the link above.
You will need to meet with your student advisor at least once a semester so that you can register for classes, it is a good idea to make an appointment before you are eligible to register to make sure everything is set properly.
- Your student advisor is listed in OneStop under Web Self Service -> Student -> Registration -> OneStop Advising Page. Select the current term and your Primary Advisor is listed on the top right of the page.
- If you do not have a Primary Advisor listed, contact the head of your major department and they will assign you an advisor. You can also talk to them if you need to change advisor for any reason.
- If you have a minor then you may have a minor advisor specifically to deal with that section of your degree, especially if it is in a different department from your major.
- Before meeting your advisor, it's a good idea to look over the schedule planner and see what courses you want or need to take. The more prepared you are, the better your advisor can do their part.
- Remember that advisors are for more than just registration! They can offer guidance on degree requirements and scheduling recommendations throughout the semester, especially if you plan on changing degree plan or withdrawing from the university.
If you need a calculator for just one math class, or a laptop to work on for a semester so that you are not stuck hunting for a computer in the library, there are a few different routes to try.
- Students can borrow laptops and TI-83 calculators from the Wilbur N. Daniel African American Cultural Center on Campus, located in Clement 120. They are available on a first come, first served basis so make sure you visit early in the semester if you need one. You can call the center on (931) 221-7120.
- The Military Student Center has a Tech for Vets program which is also open to non-military students on a first come, first served basis. The MSC is located in MUC 120, you can call to check availability on (931) 221-1685.
- The Woodward Library also has laptops and MacBooks available for loan, but they cannot be taken out of the library. The library also has Kindles and iPads available for loan to students. You can check the availability of the tablets here, or call the Library on (931) 221-7346.
APSU uses the Pharos printing system – you can find more information here.
- There are printers located in the library, plus you can print in the ANTS Center or one of the other cultural centers on campus. The library printers have dedicated print workstations with ID card readers, other printers require Pharos login from the computer you're printing from.
- For larger printing (posters, banners etc) visit Printing Services behind the library or call (931) 221-7187. They can also copy, bind and help with design work if needed.