Student Travel Funding
Why do we fund travel?
The APSU Office of Student Affairs (SA) has partnered with the Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) to support student travel that enhances scholarly development and co-curricular experiences for students.
Who is eligible?
Students who are presenting research results, participating in a competition and/or officially representing the University are eligible to request funds to support travel expenses related to these opportunities. All students who request funds must be currently enrolled, have a minimum 2.5 GPA and no formal disicipline record.
What types of travel may be funded?
Students are welcome to request support to attend other events that aid scholarly development but that are not required for the completion of the degree. We may rely on departmental input to determine what events constitute appropriate scholarly activities for any given discipline. SA/OUR recognizes that research opportunities will be defined differently by discipline and are, therefore, not limited to research conference travel.
How much can I request?
Individual students may request up to $500 to cover university approved expenses that are not already being covered by another APSU office or department, the individual or an organization. Please note that SA/OUR has limited travel funds and can make no guarantees regarding the level of funding. Also, previous travel awards should not be used to predict funding for current or following years. Students approved for funds may receive funds from SA/OUR once per year.
How do I request money from SA/OUR?
These steps should be taken well in advance of your planned trip. We recommend beginning at least six weeks prior to your departure. Applications will not be considered less than four weeks prior to the date of departure. Each individual student must apply for funds.
- Interested students should first review the general guidelines for receiving fund: General Guidelines for Applying for Student Travel Support
- Go to Apply for Travel Funds, and complete the online application for funding form. This is the actual application for funds.
- Upload your Authorization of Travel_Form_. The travel authorization form denotes the funding request breakdown and is a business form. This travel form must be signed by you and your faculty/staff sponsor. The authorization form must not be submitted blank, with no signatures, or with only signatures and no expenses included.
- Scan attachments that detail requested expenses, and evidence of your acceptance/participation must also be attached.
- Your application will be reviewed when these steps are complete.
- Applicants will be contacted by email with information regarding a funding decision.
- Approved funds will be reimbursed to the student following the trip AND upon submission of the completed claim form and receipts, AND the submission of the post trip survey.
What do I do after my trip - how do I receive my reimbursement?
- Download a Travel Expense Claims form and complete. (Link is located about midway down the page that open up.)
- Submit the Travel Expense Claims form to Student Affairs, Box 4598 or MUC 206 within one week of returning from your trip. All eligible, original receipts must be included with the claim form.
- Complete the Post Trip Survey online within 10 days of returning from your trip.
Need help? Have questions?
Contact Dr. Chris Gentry (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Tammy Bryant (email@example.com)