General Guidelines for Applying for OUR Travel Funds
NOTE: OUR student travel funding has moved to the Learning Opportunities Center. The contact information is 931-221-6236, Browning Building 109.
Applications are usually submitted approximately 6-8 weeks in advance of departure, but may be submitted up to six months prior to the trip. Applications submitted less than four weeks prior to the date of departure will immediately be rejected. (This includes applications received that are incomplete.) Funds are awarded on a first-applied/first-considered basis. Funds are limited and when exhausted no additional requests may be funded.
Eligible Expenses (What can be funded)
Funds may be requested for transportation, registration and lodging costs.
Students applying for funds for travel must:
- be currently enrolled at the time of application
- have a minimum GPA of 2.5
- have no record of formal discipline with the University
- not be a regular faculty/staff member of the University
- not have received funding assistance within the last fiscal year
Meet with your faculty sponsor. All students applying for travel funding must have a faculty sponsor. Gather supporting documents depicting travel expenses to attach to the travel authorization form. Complete an authorization of travel form including anticipated expenses, etc. You will sign on the employee line, and your sponsor will sign on the chairman/director line. Scan this in and you will attach this authorization form and the supporting documents to your online application. This authorization of travel is a required attachment. It is NOT the application for funds.
The application process is all online, and is as follows:
- All funds must be requested via the online application form: Apply > for Travel Funds. Complete this online form, and attach/upload your OUR Travel Authorization. (As described above, this authorization form must be completed, and signed by you AND your faculty sponsor. This is a required attachment at the time of application.) Included with this online submission should be the supporting documentation that depicts the actual costs you expect to incur, such as airfare and hotel rates. Your application will be incomplete and WILL NOT be considered for funding unless the online application is complete, the documentation showing proof of expenses, and the authorization of travel form is completded including both signatures and these documents are submitted. If you encounter issues uploading and submitting the supporting documents, you can email them to email@example.com.
- All completed student travel requests must be submitted four (4) weeks prior to the actual travel.
Applications submitted must be complete: attached authorization of travel with student and faculty signatures; and
Attach other attachments that document expenses such as registration forms, hotel information that demonstrates cost, airfare costs, etc; and
SA/OUR funds .26 cents per mile reimbursement for mileage funded.
You will receive notice of your funding status at least one (1) week prior to your trip.
- If you are competing or presenting, include an attachment that documents acceptance of presentation/poster, ect, or competition, etc. This can be emailed or submitted online with the application.
- Student travel funds will not be awarded for travel for seminars, training, classes, programs of study, field trips, job or department travel, job placement or job searches, any type of tuition or payment of class/seminar, etc., personal interest, and/or personal educational, religious or political development, etc. Funds are not available to cover travel which results in academic credit or that is required to complete the requirements for the degree. Funds are for individual student travel, not for student organization travel. Funds are for domestic travel only.
Students who have graduated and attend a conference/meeting to present research that occurred while enrolled must inform and publish on their work that the research occurred at Austin Peay State University. Students must provide documentation of this notification.
- Students may receive funding once per fiscal year.
- The Code of Student Conduct applies to all students receiving funds for travel from OUR.
- Students receiving funding must complete the post-trip survey within 10 days after the conclusion of the trip. Students will be reimbursed up the amount awarded with the appropriate receipts, completed claim form, and completed post-trip survey.
- Applicants will be contacted by email with information regarding a funding decision.
- If you receive funding, after your trip download a Travel Expense Claim form and complete and submit within one week of your return.
- Submit the Travel Expense Claim form to Learning Opportunities Center, Browning 109 4598 within one week of returning from your trip. All eligible receipts must be included with the claim form. Claim forms will not be accepted without the appropriate receipts. Failure to submit the claim form and post trip survey within 10 days will result in a forfeiture of the funding awarded.
- Approved funds will be reimbursed to the student following the trip after 1) submission of the completed travel expense claim form and eligible receipts and 2) submission of the Post-Trip Survey.
- Students who fail to follow the guidelines for funding or who do not provide appropriate receipts will not be reimbursed.
- Expenses incurred by the student prior to receiving confirmation of awarded funding are the responsibility of the student.