As part of First to the Top, the Tennessee Higher Education Commission and the Tennessee Department of Education are pleased to provide complimentary access to a series of formative instruction and value-added online courses to College of Education faculty and students at higher education institutions and alternate providers that prepare teachers and school leaders throughout Tennessee.
Developed by Battelle for Kids, the online courses are designed to help build educators’ capacity to use formative instructional practices, value-added progress measures, other sources of data and effective strategies to improve instruction and student learning.
The attached resources were created to generate awareness of this online learning opportunity and make it easy for educators to enroll and participate in the courses.
This flyer provides an introduction to the online courses, a description of each course and enrollment instructions. It also includes an overview of the four, value-added role-based learning paths:
• System-Level Learning Path (MRM) for Math and Reading
• Building-Level Learning Path (MRM) for Math and Reading
• Teacher-Level Learning Path (MRM) for Math and Reading
• Building- and Teacher-Level Learning Path (URM) for Science, Social Studies and High School
Formative Instruction Online Course Quick Start Guide
This guide provides simple instructions for principals and teachers to log in and enroll in the formative instruction online courses. It also provides tips for success in fostering online course participation and school-wide implementation of formative instructional practices.
Value-Added Online Course Quick Start Guide
Similar to the formative instruction quick start guide, this guide provides simple instructions for educators to log in and enroll in the value-added online courses. It also provides tips for success in fostering online course participation and helping teachers further understand, interpret and use TVAAS® value-added analysis to inform practices and accelerate student progress.
Both quick start guides are available as downloads on the Tennessee Student Progress Portal.
To log in and access these guides:
1. Visit BattelleforKids.org
2. On the portal home page, select the “My Portal” tab.
3. If this is your first time logging in, select “Create New Account,” enter your respective work e-mail address and the access code. Returning users should enter your respective work e-mail address and password.
4. Once you log in, the new materials will be available in the “Resources” section of the “My Portal Home” page.