Skip Navigation

History of Governors Stadium

Governors athletics received a boost in 1946, when the city of Clarksville opened its new Municipal Stadium at the edge of the former Austin Peay State College. The stadium became the home field for local schools and APSC for football games and track events.

The fact is, the Municipal Stadium – later renamed Governors Stadium – was part of a time when athletics was needed. Austin Peay, like other institutions, sought to define itself for the postwar era. Athletics helped to usher in a new era for the college and Clarksville, and the stadium was the element needed.

Over the decades, Governors Stadium has seen countless numbers of players, fans, marching band members, supporters, residents and visitors come with anticipation, hoping their team would win. Today, the campus icon is dilapidating, and overdue renovations and improvements are needed to keep the Governors legacy moving – and provide our students now and in the future a place where they can celebrate wins and learn from defeats.

Gallery
stadium-gallery.jpg