DCS Stipend Program
The Tennessee Department of Children's Services (DCS) has undergone tremendous changes the past few years. A new sense of urgency has been placed on the quality and timeliness of services to families. In conjunction with these changes, there is a new emphasis on the professionalism of the people who serve these families.
One of the primary areas that has been targeted is the area of formal social work education. DCS has placed an unprecedented amount of energy and resources into the recruitment of B.S.W's and M.S.W.'s. As a result there is now a Certification Program specifically for child welfare workers. As a part of the certification program you may be eligible for a stipend.
To apply for a DCS Grant stipend you must meet the following requirements:
- Be accepted into the Social Work Program
- Have at least three (3) but no more than four (4) semesters left until graduation
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0 or higher
If you are awarded the stipend you must be willing to accept employment in any of the ninety-five (95) counties within Tennessee and complete the following:
- Successfully complete SW 3680 Child Welfare I and SW 3700 Child Welfare II
- Field practicum internship with Tennessee DCS
- Sign an eighteen (18) month or two (2) year work committment with Tennessee DCS after graduation
What Do You Get?
If you are awarded the DCS Grant stipend you will receive the following benefits:
- Your tuition will be paid, and you will receive a stipend of $2,000.00 per semester for other expenses for up to four semesters.
- It will increase your chance of beginning employment with DCS immediately upon graduation.
- You will receive a higher entry level pay than the base salary of an employee without child welfare certification.