Employment with University Recreation
University Recreation is one of the largest on-campus employers of students. In fact, the department takes pride in the student employees' role in our ability to meet the needs of the diverse community that is Austin Peay. An important component of our mission is preparing students for their future career goals by instilling common work ethics and skills like time management, customer service and accountability.
Anyone interested in working with University Recreation should first apply to positions for which they are interested on the student employment section of the Human Resources Web site. Apply for each position. Applications are kept active for the duration of the current semester. A few positions are available to non-students or Austin Peay affiliates as well, such as Group Fitness Instructors, Personal Trainers and Water Safety Instructors. Non-student applicants should email a resume to the supervisor of the position of interest.
Whenever there is a vacancy, anyone in the current pool fitting our needs will be contacted to schedule an interview. Successful candidates will then complete official hiring paperwork and complete orientation and training before beginning a regular work schedule.
New hires are brought on in a probationary capacity for the first 60 days. This format gives both the employee and the department time to become acquainted, ask lots of questions and make sure there is a good fit.
Opportunities for Advancement
Student employees who stick with us and do a good job have the opportunity to advance into leadership positions with the department, including Undergraduate Assistants, who function as facility and intramural supervisors.
Current Position Openings
University Recreation is currently hiring student positions and non-student positions. All non-student applicants must have a current certification in the respective areas.
Current Non-student job postings:
- Personal Trainer (current certification required)
- Email resume and letter of interest to Lauren Wilkinson.
Current Student job postings:
- Adventure Trip Assistant Contact: Clayton Sheehan
- Customer Service Attendant Contact: Anja Shelton
- Climbing Wall Attendant Contact: Clayton Sheehan
- Climbing Wall Instructor Contact: Clayton Sheehan
- Intramural Official Contact: Anja Shelton
- Lifeguard Contact: Lauren Murton
- Swim Lesson/Water Safety Instructor Contact: Lauren Murton
- Personal Trainer Contact: Lauren Wilkinson
- current certification required
- Summer Camp Counselor Contact: Jasin Wills