The mission of the Department of Music is to provide a graduate education that will produce skilled, knowledgeable, creative, and articulate musicians. The Department of Music seeks to fulfill its mission by providing training and experience for students preparing for careers in music performance; providing training toward the development of critical thinking in music; providing music training and teaching experience for students seeking licensure in education to help meet the need for competent music teachers in the state and region; providing education resources and musical experiences as part of a comprehensive Liberal Arts education; and providing a rich program of artistic and cultural events in conjunction with the Center of Excellence for the Creative Arts to emphasize the importance of music in the lives of students and the community.
- Application for admission
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended showing a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5
- Three letters of recommendation
- Audition on instrument or voice
- Military documents, if applicable
- Admission decision by department
*Applicants for the music education program may audition in their primary performing area or submit a video recording of their teaching.
What opportunities are available with this degree?
- Music Education
- Worship or Sacred Music Conducting
- Instrument repair
- Music Librarian
- Musicology and Ethnomusicology
- Music Therapy,
- Music Business Music Technology