The Master of Arts in English emphasizes literature, creative writing, and teaching and the role of scholarship and creative writing in the development of teachers. The 2:1 graduate student to graduate faculty ratio in our program is beneficial to both students and faculty and provides an ideal environment for academic growth.
Graduate students take an active role in our department and join faculty in mentoring and teaching undergraduate students and in conducting and presenting research.
- Application for admission
- Two letters of recommendation
- Brief cover letter outlining graduate career goals
- Scholarly writing sample (minimum 6 pages)
- Undergraduate GPA of 2.9 attained on undergraduate coursework
- Bachelor’s degree, in any field,from a regionally accredited institution
- Minimum acceptable GRE scores calculated as the following:
- GPA + (0.15 x GRE [Verbal]) > 23.5
- GPA + (0.15 x GRE [Quant]) > 23.5
- GRE Analytical Writing Score of at least 3.5
- Receipt of admission by the English department selection committee. Applicants must submit two sets of application materials: one to the College of Graduate Studies, and one to the Graduate Coordinator of the English program at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Graduate Coordinator will accept unofficial copies of GRE scores and transcripts. Only completed admission packets will be forwarded to the department admission committee for consideration. Admission decisions are made by the English admission committee.
What opportunities are available with this degree?
- Current teachers seeking greater expertise
- Higher Education faculty
- Publication Industry
- Current teachers seeking a pay increase
- Technical Writers
- Life enrichment