The Education Specialist program allows students to pursue a higher level of learning beyond the master's degree. Students who have earned a master's degree may apply to the program. The Ed.S. program may be transferred to a doctorate program, if desired. This performance-based curriculum for prospective school administrators is based on the Tennessee Instructional Leadership Standards (TILS) developed by the Tennessee Department of Education and enacted into law by the Tennessee General Assembly and initiated in September 2009 in all Tennessee Principal (instructional leadership) Licensing Programs. This program is designed to prepare candidates for educational administrative positions. The program is designed to be taken by cohort groups. EDUC 5710 Introduction to School Leadership (3) must be taken in the first semester of enrollment. Upon completion of the program and the SLLA PRAXIS exams, the student will receive a Educational Specialist (Ed.S.) degree and be eligible for licensure as a Tennessee school administrator.
- Application for admission
- Evidence of an earned Master’s degree
- A GPA of 3.25 at the Master’s level
- Official scores on the General test of the Graduate Record Examination with minimum 145 verbal and 140 quantitative scores.
- Acquire a letter of support from two practicing administrators who agree to mentor the aspiring administrator throughout the program plus an additional recommendation.
- Complete a screening interview
- Complete a leadership assessment
- Submit a valid Tennessee teaching certificate
- Have a record of successful teaching experience for a minimum of three years.
- Admission decision by department
What opportunities are available with this degree?
- Advancement to school & system level leadership position
- Segue into advanced degrees – Ed.D. or Ph.D. in Educational Leadership
- Increased marketability of individual in current organization and prospective organization considerations
- Terminal degree that is recognized nationally
- Pathway to doctorate and university positions in leadership
- Pay increase