The Department of Computer Science and Information Technology and the Department of Mathematics and Statistics at Austin Peay offer both an online and on-campus Master of Science and Professional Science Masters ideal for professionals in a wide variety of science and math career fields.
The Master of Science (M.S.) and Professional Science Masters (P.S.M.) in Computer Science and Quantitative Methods bring together science and business skills to give students a greater competitive advantage in the workforce. Both degrees enable students to pursue advanced training while working full time. The concentrations are ideal for anyone with a bachelor’s degree, working in industry or military, and/or having a desire to advance their career with a technical degree. These programs are designed to allow students to complete their degrees while continuing to hold employment.
- Application for admission
- Bachelor’s degree, conferred in any field, from a regionally accredited institution indicating a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 2.5
- Official transcripts (in English) from all colleges attended
- GRE scores are not required (optional)
- Resume listing three references
- Personal Essay: The Personal Essay should be no longer than one page and should address the applicant’s career goals, why the applicant wishes to pursue this degree at APSU, and the applicant’s quantitative/analytical background in terms of prior coursework, research, and/or employment.
- Military documents, if applicable
- Admission decision by the Professional Science Masters department selection committee
- Admission decisions will be based largely on coursework and performance in all previous degree programs, GRE scores (optional), and the personal essay. The academic transcript, scores, and/or work experience of successful applicants must include evidence of aptitude, knowledge, and skill in algebra, quantitative literacy, and foundations of computer programming. Some background in statistics or calculus is desirable and will strengthen an application, as will additional experience in computer programming. Only completed application packets will be forwarded to the committee for review.
What opportunities are available with this degree?
- Working with hedge funds
- Portfolio optimization
- Working for groups that Manage retirement funds