9th Annual Young Women’s Leadership Symposium
"Women and Leadership...Finding our place."
Austin Peay State University
Event Date: Friday, March 22, 2019
Event Time: 8:30am-1:30pm
Morgan University Center Ballroom
REGISTRATION FORM DUE: Friday, March 15, 2019 to Dr. Lyle-Gonga (email@example.com) by 4:30p.m.
This event is FREE and open to all. Breakfast and Lunch will be provided.
Program Purpose: To increase the political efficacy of young women ages 16-24 through leadership development and civic engagement activities.
Program Outline: The one-day seminar will enroll young women between the ages of 16 and 24. Participants will be recruited through announcements sent out through the APSU announcement system and local press releases. The young women will be taught a series of courses on basic leadership styles and development and assigned a service-learning project and present their work at the end of the session. By utilizing service learning and political advocacy as instructional strategies, students will increase their political efficacy and community service advocacy. Additionally, women in leadership and non-profit service entities will be invited as guest speakers to reflect on their own leadership development and provide service learning opportunities.
- Demonstrate an understanding of leadership development and what it takes to be a leader.
- Be able to identify various leadership styles as it pertains to women and leadership.
- Develop a broad familiarity and knowledge of good political leadership traits.
- Understand the importance of political efficacy in leadership development as it pertains to service learning projects.
- Be able to discuss the relationship between civic engagement activities and leadership development.
- Gain leadership confidence through interactions with local leaders.