4:007 Access to and Security of Facilities
|Austin Peay State
|Access to and Security of Facilities
||February 2, 2017
||Vice President for Finance and Administration
||Physical Plant and Public Safety
It is the policy of Austin Peay State University to control access to facilities,
buildings and rooms by restricting the issuance of keys and electronic access credentials
to authorized personnel only.
The purpose of this policy is to insure necessary safety and security of facilities
on the Austin Peay State University Campus.
-Building Operation Hours
-Locking/Unlocking Buildings and Rooms
-Responsibilities of Approving Officials
-Responsibilities of Individuals to Whom Keys are Issued
-Responsibilities of the Public Safety Department
-Responsibilities of the Physical Plant Department
-APSU Physical Plant Website
||Physical keys and electronic access credentials
||The Austin Peay State University Physical Plant Department
||The Austin Peay State University Office of Public Safety and Campus Police
|Effective control and security of University buildings, and keys to those buildings,
are a necessary requirement for the safety and security of University personnel, equipment,
- Building Operating Hours
- Normal operating hours will be established for each building by the building coordinator.
- Exterior doors will be locked and the building secure at all times other than normal
operating hours with the following exceptions:
- When faculty/staff members are in the building for special activities/events and will
be responsible for the security of the facility during this event.
- When a student building monitor assigned that responsibility is in the building to
perform those functions in 1 above.
Buildings and Rooms
- Unlocking/Locking buildings
- Normal Operating Hours (Monday thru Friday):
- Primary exterior doors will be unlocked by the electronic access control system
- Other than Normal Operating Hours
- After hours usage of building should be coordinated with Public Safety.
- It is the responsibility of the person or department arranging for the building(s)
to be opened to provide monitors to ensure that the buildings are controlled and secure
during the event, to clear the building, lock all doors (if they have keys), and notify
Public Safety after the event is concluded.
- Locking/Unlocking Rooms within a Building
- As a general rule, Public Safety will not open rooms within a building. Only in an
emergency and with appropriate approval will Public Safety open a room either during
or after normal building operating hours.
- During normal operating hours, each department will establish procedures for opening
and closing rooms.
- During other than normal operating hours, rooms may be opened by:
- Faculty/Staff member using their permanently issued keys
- Faculty/Staff member using a key temporarily assigned by Public Safety and/or Physical
- Keys will be issued by the Physical Plant based upon receipt of a properly completed
Key Request Form
- At no time is a key holder permitted to transfer keys to another employee. Keys shall
be returned to the Physical Plant when an employee leaves the University or changes
job functions within the University.
- Authority to hold a Grand Master key to all locks of the system will be limited to
the Physical Plant Director, the Chief of Campus Police and the President or their
designees for use in carrying out their specialized official duties.
- Students will obtain residence hall keys directly from Office of Housing, Residence
Life and Dining Services and will return these keys to that office when clearing out
of the residence hall. Students are not issued keys to other campus facilities except
as a temporary requirement when needed as a part-time employee.
- Prior to termination and receipt of their final paycheck, all faculty and staff will
return all building and office keys for which they are responsible to the Physical
Plant. Human Resources will initiate an Exit Clearance Form which will be signed by
Physical Plant personnel indicating all keys have been accounted for. If an assigned
key is not returned, a fee will be levied for replacement of key and necessary re-keying.
The fee for replacement of keys and re-keying can be found on the Physical Plant’s
- The loss (or discovery) of a campus key will be reported immediately to Public Safety.
The following additional procedures apply:
- Within five (5) work days of the telephone report, the key assignee will render a
written report to his/her supervisor and to Public Safety, outlining circumstances
of loss and affirming that if the key is recovered, it will be returned.
- A replacement key will not be issued until the required written report cited above
is received and approval is granted to issue a duplicate key.
- It is the department's responsibility to see that employees follow proper procedures
in returning keys to Physical Plant upon termination or transfer.
- Lock change requests will be directed to Physical Plant, outlining the building, space
and doors where changes are desired, reasons for change and fund account(s) to which
costs are to be charged.
- When a higher degree of security for funds, drugs, chemicals, records, etc., is needed,
Public Safety will be notified and assistance will be provided in determining the
level of security needed.
||The following officials are authorized to approve the issuance of keys as indicated:
Building master keys and entrance keys should be issued to full time personnel only.
- Grand Master - President or Vice President for Finance and Administration
- Building Master - Vice Presidents
- Departmental Master - Dean or Department Head
- Individual Interior Doors - Dean or Department Head
- Building Entrance - Dean or Department Head
|Approving officials are responsible for the following:
Date loss discovered and circumstances concerning the loss.
- Designate those individuals whose duties require keys.
- File a report with Public Safety for all incidents of lost keys. Each report should
contain the following information:
- Name of individual to whom the key was issued.
- Room, building or area to which the key provided access.
Individuals to Whom
Keys are Issued
|The following regulations apply to all individuals to who University keys are issued:
- Personnel to whom keys are issued are responsible for their physical security. The
loss of a University key must be reported immediately to the employee’s supervisor
and Public Safety.
- The duplication of any University key by anyone other than Physical Plant is prohibited.
- Keys and access control credentials issued to faculty and staff are for their official
use on the Austin Peay campus. The keys and access control credentials remain the
property of the University and must be returned to Physical Plant upon termination
or transfer, etc. Failure to return the ID and keys will subject the individual to
penalties and restrictions outlined elsewhere in this document.
|Responsibilities of the
|Individuals who do not possess University keys and need to enter a University building
may request assistance from Public Safety. Upon receipt of such requests, Public Safety
personnel will make positive identification of the individual and if appropriate secure
permission from a proper University official before providing admission to the building
|Responsibilities of the
|The Physical Plant is responsible for the production of keys. The duplication of University
keys by any other person or department is prohibited. The Physical Plant Department
will maintain a current inventory of all keys issued. The use of privately-owned locks
on University facilities, buildings, rooms, etc. is not permitted.
||When access to University facilities is required in connection with a contracted project,
the Director of Physical Plant or the Director of University Design and Construction
will coordinate the contractor's access requirements and communicate requirements
with Public Safety. Upon completion of their need for University keys, the Director
of Physical Plant or the Director of University Design and Construction will ensure
that keys are returned.
APSU Policy 4:007 – Rev.: February 2, 2017
APSU Policy 4:007 – Rev.: January 14, 2016
APSU Policy 4:007 – Rev.: January 24, 2007
APSU Policy 4:007 – Issued: January 22, 2002
President: signature on file