Physics Path to Graduate Study in Physics
The path to graduate study in physics selects major electives that emphasize the theoretical preparation required for graduate study while simultaneously exposing you to a variety of experimental topics. It also emphasizes the need for students to perform independent research as a part of their preparation.
Suggested major electives (24 credit hours):
- Phys 3050/3051 Introductory Circuits (4)
- Phys 3100/3101 Optics (4)
- Phys 3740 Thermal and Statistical Physics (3)
- Phys 4830 Theoretical Electricity and Magnetism (3)
- Phys 4850 Advanced Quantum Mechanics (3)
- Phys 4970 Independent Study in Physics (3)
- Choose one upper-level experimental class from:
- Phys 3750/3751 Laser Physics (4),
- Phys 3900/3901 Nuclear and Radiation Physics (4), or
- Phys 4200/4201 Introduction to Solid State Physics (4).