(For Perkins Loans awarded by Austin Peay State University)
Federal Perkins Loan Deferments: Deferments can be granted one semester at a time while you are enrolled for
least a half-time course load.
Acceptance requires certification of your enrollment status by the registrar's
office at your college or university. Print and complete this deferment form.
Other Federal Perkins Loan Deferments:
(Loans made before July 1, 1993)
- Military and Volunteer Service Deferments: Deferments can be granted one year at a time for a period not to exceed three years
while you are: 1) on full-time active duty in the Armed Forces or the National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration Corps; 2) in volunteer service as a member of the Peace Corps
or VISTA or 3) an officer in the Commissioned Corps of the U.S. Public Health Service.
- Internship and Residency Deferments: Deferments can be granted one year at a time for a period not to exceed two years
while you are: 1) serving in an internship program which is required
in order to receive
professional recognition required to begin professional practice or 2) serving in an
internship or residency program leading to a degree or certificate awarded by an
institution of higher education, a hospital, or a health care facility that offers
for student deferments and postponements for specific types of employment or
public service, deferments on loans made after June 30, 1993 are subject to an aggregate
maximum of three years.
Acceptance requires certification of your employment or service status by one of the
- Armed Forces - your commanding officer
- Peace Corps - Division
of Volunteer Support, Peace Corps, Washington, DC
- VISTA - Division of Field Operations, VISTA, Washington, DC
- U.S. Public Health Service - Health Resources & Services Admin., Rockville, MD
- Internship or residency - the director of the internship/residency program
Print and complete this deferment
Economic Hardship Deferments and
Short-term deferments and forbearances can be granted
to assist borrowers through periods of temporary economic difficulty. Eligibility is
determined by the Office of Student Loans and all requests should be
made in writing. For
deferment of Federal Perkins Student Loans, print and complete this deferment form.