New & Noteworthy
- Travis Tanner, a PELP senior, was recently accepted into the Ph.D. program in philosophy at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. He was offered full funding for five years. He is especially interested in the philosophy of science.
- Clarissa Pulley, a PELP senior, has been accepted into the Philosophy Ph.D. program at the University of North Texas to study environmental philosophy with a focus on Indian religions.
- Shelley Starkey, a PELP senior, was recently given a one-year assignment with City Year. She will begin her assignment in July in San Jose, California. City Year is an education-focused nonprofit organization that partners with high need public schools to provide full-time targeted student interventions. City Year AmeriCorps members support students by focusing on attendance, behavior, and course performance through in-class support, 1-on-1 and small group tutoring, mentoring, and after school programs that keep children in school and on track to succeed. The organization's culture emphasizes the values of leadership, diversity, and community service.
- Zac Gillman, a PELP senior and current SGA president, was recently hired by his fraternity, Sigma Phi Epsilon, to be a regional director. He will be based out of Richmond, Virginia. During the coming academic year, he will be a traveling consultant to approximately 20 chapters in the United States, and will consult them on best practices for recruitment, finance, member development, and alumni engagement.
- Dr. Ying Ma (Sociology) and Dr. Matthew Kenney (PELP) led a group of 23 students, mostly PELP juniors, to Trinidad & Tobago in Janauary. While there they completed a service-learning project with Habitat for Humanity in the town of Barataria. This year's group was the fourth PELP junior class to travel to this Caribbean nation. Students also learned about the rich and varied culture in Trinidad and Tobago.
- Daniel Pitts, a PELP senior, is the Student Government Association Vice President at Austin Peay for the 2014-2015 academic year.
- PELP students currently serving as SGA senators include Jordan Reedy (freshman), Jesse McGaha (freshman), Tabitha Montague (sophomore), and Ankit Patel (junior). Bethany Long (sophomore) is justice on the SGA Student Tribunal.
- Thomas Murphy (sophomore) is studying at L'Université d'Orléans in France this semester, while Patrick Grady (senior) is spending the semester at L'Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca in Italy.
- Destynee Horner, a PELP senior and pre-dentistry student, is the 2014-2015 Rita Sanders Geier Scholarship recipient at Austin Peay.