New & Noteworthy
- Alex Hornick, a PELP junior, is participating in a computer science REU at Iowa State University this summer. Its focus is on emerging interface technologies.
- Natalia Marrero-Silva, a PELP senior, was recently named by Austin Peay's Department of Chemistry as this year's recipient of the Amercian Chemical Society Undergraduate Award in Analytical Chemistry.
- Lane Parmely, a PELP junior, is participating in a chemistry REU at the University of Mississippi focusing on anti-tumor medicine research.
- Laura Judy, a PELP junior, is participating in the summer 2015 Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internship program in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. This ten-week program is funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. Ms. Judy is working on a project based on integrating VO2 nanostructures with plasmonic metamaterial perfect absorbers in order to obtain a room temperature analogue to superconducting transition edge sensors.
- Elizabeth Juelfs, a PELP senior, is doing an astronomy REU at Kitt Peak National Observatory and the National Optical Astronomy Observatory headquarters in Arizona. She is working on the photometric catalog from the SMASH (Survey of the MAgellanic Stellar History) survey which is designed to explore structure and interaction history of the Magellanic Clouds by mapping their stellar populations over an area spanning >10% of the southern sky. She is using the stars and background galaxies found in the survey to map the extinction by dust.