Online Tutoring Powered by Tutor.com
In a partnership between the Academic Support Center and Distance Education, Austin Peay State University now offers an online tutoring service for current students through Tutor.com. This 24/7/361* service will support on campus and online students in a number of courses. Students can access the service when and where they need it and they can even use a mobile browser. For faculty, using Tutor.com in your course is like having 3,000+ TA’s on demand 24/7 who can help your students one-on-one.
The agreement with Tutor.com supports subject-specific tutoring. Writing support for online and face-to-face students will continue to be available through the Writing Center. Additionally, in-person tutoring is still available for students through the Academic Support Center in Marks 124.
Below is a list of supported topics/subjects. Most topics/subjects are offered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.* Reminder, writing support is available through the Writing Center. APSU is using Tutor.com's course mapping feature so when students access the service they will see APSU course information not the generic topics listed below. For more information, view this complete list of APSU supported courses.
- Allied Health - See Nursing below
- Business - Intro to Finance, Intro to Accounting, Intro to Economics, Intro to Microeconomics, Intro to Macroeconomics, Intermediate Accounting, Principles of Management, Business Law, and Intermediate Accounting, Intermediate Economics, and Intermediate Microeconomics
- Computer Science - Computer Science Principles, Java, C++, and Python
- History - U.S. History, World History, and Geography
- Math - Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Pre-calculus, Calculus, Statistics, Advanced Statistics, Finite Math, Discrete Math, Linear Algebra, and Quantitative Reasoning
- Nursing and Allied Health - Medical Surgical, Medical Terminology, Pathophysiology, Pharmacology, Epidemiology, Evidence-Based Practice, Health Services, Primary Care, Acute Care, Allied Health, Healthcare Administration, Clinical Assessment, and Clinical Management
- Science - Earth Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics (Algebra-based), Physics (Calculus-based), Anatomy and Physiology, Organic Chemistry, Physical Science, and Microbiology
- Social Science - Intro to Psychology, Intro to Sociology, and Research Methods
*Tutor.com is not available on July 4, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day. Also, a limited number of courses have restricted hours. A list of these courses and hours is posted in the tutoring portal.
Faculty will access Tutor.com through their D2L account. Chrome and Firefox browsers are recommended. Once logged into D2L on a computer or mobile browser, select any current course. Inside the course, select "Resources" on the navigation bar and then "Subject-Specific Tutoring." If you are using a mobile device, you will also be asked how you want to launch the service, select "LAUNCH MOBILE WEB." You should now be on the Tutor.com landing page. Select "Take me to the Client Portal" to access your faculty resources. These include a "fast facts dashboard" where you can see the number of active students using the service and the total number of sessions, early alerts, and more. Additionally, faculty have access to an on-demand reporting tool. Here are step-by-step directions in a PDF document on how to access Tutor.com as a faculty member.
Below are additional resources for faculty:
- Tutor.com Service Overview (PDF)
- Faculty How to Guide (PDF)
- Faculty Guide on Predictive Insights (PDF)
- Videos of Sample Sessions (opens new window)
- APSU Aug 21, 2018 Information Session on Tutor.com (opens new window)
In this faculty how-to video, learn about the faculty dashboard, reports, and early alerts.
Students will access Tutor.com through their D2L account. Chrome and Firefox browsers are recommended. Once logged into D2L on a computer or mobile browser, select any current course. Inside the course, select "Resources" on the navigation bar and then "Subject-Specific Tutoring." If you are using a mobile device, you will also be asked how you want to launch the service, select "LAUNCH MOBILE WEB." You should now be on the Tutor.com landing page. Here are step-by-step directions in a PDF document on how to access Tutor.com as a student. Please note: Tutor.com is not available on July 4, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day.
Below are additional resources for students. These can be used by students or by faculty to add to their course content.
Below is a how-to video for students on Tutor.com. This video references the Tutor.com essay review service. APSU is not using their service and instead leverages the Writing Center.
Students that speak Spanish can receive tutoring in Spanish. This service is available daily from 2:00pm-2:00am EST in a limited number of subjects:
- Mathematics - Algebra, Calculus, Geometry, Statistics, and Trigonometry
- Science - Basic Science, Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, Physics
- History - various Social Studies
Students will access the online tutoring portal as usual through D2L. They can then choose to view the options in Spanish, see setting highlighted by a red box in image below. This option will only be available from 2:00pm-2:00am EST.
For questions regarding Tutor.com at APSU, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Your inquiry will be documented and routed to the most qualified person whether they are in Distance Education or the Academic Support Center.
Additionally, if having immediate issues with accessing the system or trouble while in the middle of a tutoring session, please contact Tutor.com for assistance at 1-800-411-1970 and choose Option 1. They are available Monday through Friday from 9:00am to 8:00pm EST.