Faculty & Professional Development
Distance Education offers face-to-face faculty development sessions in many areas including course/instructional design, multimedia development, accessibility & ADA compliance, and D2L (basic and advanced). The intention is to not only support faculty in meeting online course development guidelines, but also to aid them in creating unique and engaging courses that are efficient and effective.
Below are faculty development sessions we have offered in the past. To schedule a faculty development session for you or your department, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Accessible Syllabus
- Assessing the Value of Educational Resources
- Beefing Up Your Course with Videos
- Course Design for Quality Courses
- Creating Accessible Documents and Media
- BrightSpace: Dropbox, Grade Book and Turnitin
- BrightSpace: Managing Content in D2L
- BrightSpace: Discussions and Calendars
- BrightSpace: Rubrics
- Making Your Online Course ADA Compliant
- Measurable Objectives & Alignment
- Multimedia: My Media
- Multimedia: Best Practices of Creating Instructional Videos
- Multimedia: Camtasia Basic
- Multimedia: Camtasia Advanced
- Strategies & Tools for Student Engagement
- Using Copyrighted Materials in Your Online Course
- Zoom Video & Web-Conferencing
In addition to the face-to-face development sessions offered by Distance Education, APSU faculty have access to select online trainings through Academic Impressions Pro, Quality Matters, Online Learning Consortium, and our Distance Education website. Please contact the Distance Education office at 931-221-1035 or email@example.com to see if training is available. Please note: all links open in a new window.
Quality Matters Training (QM)
- Quality Matters is an organization that ensure quality in online courses. Two separate online trainings available for faculty in an online format; Applying the Quality Matters Rubric (APPQMR) and Peer Reviewers Course (PRC). Please visit the Quality Matters Website to learn more.
- Lynda.com is an on-demand learning solution designed to help you gain new skills based on your goals, interests, and experience. Please visit the Lynda.com website on the Human Resources page for more information.
Online Learning Consortium (OLC)
- OLC offers a variety of online training with topics including best practices for online learning, multimedia, web accessibility, rubrics, and more. Please visit the OLC website to find a workshop that best fits your needs.
Academic Impressions (AI) Trainings
- Trainings are available in live, interactive formats or as recordings in the training
library. A wide range of topics are covered from assessment and compliance to technology
and online/blended learning. All are critical issues facing higher education and available for free. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Please view AI Training website to see available trainings.
Accessible Syllabus Training
- The Accessible Syllabus Training Series video tutorials demonstrate the 8 key steps towards creating an accessible digital syllabus for your course. To complete the training, please visit Accessible Syllabus Training.
Equipment for media creation is available to Faculty for check out for limited time periods. Check out equipment by emailing email@example.com with your needs at least 3-5 business days in advance. Available equipment includes:
- Wacom Tablets
- Web Cameras
- USB Microphone Headsets