April 8, 2002
Though Austin Peay was a "normal," school, a college created to prepare students to become teachers, the department of education was not officially accredited until years after the school's 1927 opening. When was accreditation granted?
Answer: 1950. Dr. Leslie Collinson became head of the department in 1947 and began a program of expansion and improvement. The department was accredited by the American Association for Colleges of Teacher Education three years later. In 1968 the institution gained accreditation by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education.