February 4, 2002
When Austin Peay State Normal School opened its doors in 1929, the library was housed in a large reading room on the top floor of the Stewart Building and had so few books that President P. P. Claxton placed a large part of his personal collection in the stacks for student use. By 1946, the collection had reached 19,661 volumes. In 1950 the library moved to what is now the Browning building. The new library opened in 1968 and was stocked with 68,814 volumes. How many books does the library own today?
Answer: As of last year, Austin Peay's Woodward Library had 328,523 books, periodicals and special publications.