Request an Audition for Graduate Programs in Music
To be admitted as a graduate student in music at APSU you must be approved by the music faculty by completing a successful audition and interview. This audition/interview is also a major component of decisions regarding music department graduate assitantships.
NOTE: General university admittance is a prerequisite to all music department admission and assitantship decisions. Therefore, interested students are urged to promptly apply to the university for acceptance into the College of Graduate Studies after submitting this audition request. (You may formally apply to the graduate school here).
Music Education Candidates: Candidates should submit a recent video of classroom teaching or ensemble rehearsal. The video clip should be unedited, ranging from 20 to 45 minutes. Videos may be submitted via YouTube link inserted in the question/comment box below, or a DVD mailed to the coordinator of the music graduate program.
The video must be accompanied by a writing sample that answers the following questions:
- What were the overall goals or objectives of the lesson?
- In what way(s) did you measure student success or mastery of the lesson's objectives?
- After watching the video, what changes would you make to your instruction to better support student learning?
- Why do you think these changes would improve student learning? Support your explanation with evidence of student learning and/or principles from theory and/or research.
- Describe any classroom management or behavioral issues that you experienced and how you dealt with the issue.
- Rate your over-all impression of your teaching and of the lesson, elaborating on any details that have not been addressed in prior questions.
The writing sample should be uploaded as a PDF document below. Music Education Candidates who have not held a teaching position may submit videos of student teaching, or may audition through live performance, following the specifications below.
Performance Candidates: Auditions usually consist of several contrasting selections from different style periods. (Voice applicants should plan on four selections, performing in at least three foreign languages). The audition will be followed by an interview with music faculty. For more information about audition requirements and arrangements, please contact Dr. Ann Silverberg at 931-221-7644.
An accompanist will be provided only if applicants provide music at least two weeks prior to the audition. However, we prefer that applicants upload pdf copies of audition music when completing the online form below. If providing music in hard copy, please send them to:
Anne Marie Padelford, Staff Accompanist
APSU Music Department
PO BOX 4625
Clarksville, TN 37044
(931) 221-6248 firstname.lastname@example.org
To proceed with scheduling your audition, please complete the online form below.