For the third year, APSU Bands is delighted to present the Conducting Workshop in conjunction with the Governors Honor Band Festival. John Whitwell, Director of Bands Emeritus from Michigan State University, will join APSU Director of Bands and head of the instrumental conducting program Gregory Wolynec as clinicians. Events will include podium sessions with the APSU Wind Ensemble and Symphonic Band, topic sessions, a concert by the APSU Wind Ensemble and panel discussion involving Honor Band clinicians. Directors have the opportunity to register as a Conductor or Participant with a discount extended to directors from participating Honor Band schools.
This year’s Conducting Workshop clinicians
|Thursday, February 22nd|
|3:00-5:00pm||Stage||APSU Wind Ensemble Rehearsal|
|6:15-7:15pm||147||Conductor’s Workshop Panel Discussion
w/ John Whitwell, Paul Popiel, Ron Ellis
|8:00-9:00pm||147||Topic Session with John Whitwell|
|Friday, February 23rd|
|9:00-10:00am||147||“What Can We Do For You” with
APSU Band Directors
|10:30-11:30am||147||Topic Session with Gregory Wolynec|
|1:45-4:15pm||147||Conducting Session #1
APSU Symphonic Band
|4:30pm||Concert Hall||APSU Wind Ensemble Concert|
|7:00-9:00pm||150 and TBA||Video Critique Session|
|Saturday, February 24th|
|9:30am-noon||147||Conducting Session #2
APSU Wind Ensemble
|noon-1:30pm||Lunch on own|
|2:00pm||Concert Hall||2018 Governors Honor Band Concert|
Friday, December 1 – Applications open – The first eight to complete application for Conductor Status
will be granted podium slots.
Friday, February 9 – Deadline to complete registration
Thursday, February 22 – Governors Honor Band Festival activities begin!
Information for Directors
A limited number of individuals will be accepted for Conductor status. Each conductor will be assigned two, 15-minute sessions on the podium (one each with the APSU Wind Ensemble and Symphonic Band) during which they will receive comments and instruction from our featured clinicians. The workshop is also open to an unlimited number of Observers.
- Costs $150 ($100 for directors with students participating in the 2018 Governors Honor Band Festival).
- Conductor status is granted on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Conductor status may be achieved by completing the registration form.
- Conducting participants will be contacted individually to confirm status and discuss repertoire choices.
- Costs $50 (free for directors with students participating in the 2018 Governors Honor Band Festival).
- All Observers will be actively involved in discussions, lectures and observations of all sessions.
- Observers status can be achieved by completing the registration form
- Observers will be provided a list of all works selected for the symposium.
Repertoire will be announced by January 19.
In years past we have listed a handful of hotel options in the Clarksville area for those attending from out of town. Due to difficulties with some of these hotels honoring rates, and the opening of several new hotels in the past few years, we will not attempt to provide that information. The Riverview Hotel has the closest proximity to campus. Many hotels will offer an Austin Peay rate so we encourage you to enquire.
As more information becomes available we will post it on this website. In the meantime, if you have any questions not answered here feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!