Summary of Rule Changes for 2013 MTSEF
1. Dates and Times
- Fair setup noon - 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 21.
- Students at display for judging, 6:30 p.m. - 8 p.m. on Thursday, March 21
- Fair takedown on 9 a.m. - noon, Saturday, March 23.
- Awards ceremony Monday, April 15 at 6:30 p.m.
2. SRC and IRB preapprovals
Major changes noted from the ISEF 2013 rules are found on
page 12, #8 - vertebrate animal death during experimentation
page 14, #2d - study of decomposition of vertebrate
page 15, #C1 - type of tissue not treated as potentially hazardous biological agents
3. Middle School Project Limitations
- The goal of the fair is to allow all grade 9-12 entries and the best of grades 6-8
- Each grade 6-8 school will be allowed at least 3 entries per grade
- Schools submitting winning 1st, 2nd, or 3rd category awards in the previous fair will be allowed additional entries.
- The formula is (3 x Awards in grade in previous fair + 1) x 3 = allowed entries in that grade for present fair.
- Schools receiving additional entries for 2013 are Head Magnet, Jo Byrns, Martin Luther King Magnet and T.W. Hunter Middle.
- Total entries allowed for these schools for 2013 fair
Head Magnet - 12 in 6th, 3 in 7th, 3 in 8th
Jo Byrns - 12 in 6th, 3 in 7th, 3 in 8th
MLK - 3 in 6th, 39 in 7th, 21 in 8th
T.W. Hunter Middle - 3 in 6th, 3 in 7th, 12 in 8th
- Middle Schools will have to validate their entries with the signature of a certifying official. This can be the school science fair coordinator or an administrator. Middle Schools are encouraged to have qualifying school fairs to determine their entries. See link for Middle School form.