Skip Navigation
Two exchange students pointing to hometown on world map.

Travel to the United States

    • Be sure you know your flight itinerary (flight numbers, departure and arrival times) – you will most likely be flying into the Nashville International Airport (BNA) 
    • Verify that you have transportation arranged from the airport. If you need assistance with transportation from Nashville to Clarksville, contact the Office of International Education for information on shuttles.

    *  If your flight information changes and you have pre-arranged transportation, be sure to notify them of any changes whenever possible.

    • Hand carry all of your important documents, including your passport, I-20 (F-1), DS-2019 (J-1), visa, acceptance letter, financial documents and all other supporting documents. These must be readily available for immigration officials at your port of entry.
    • Hand carry all contact information for:

    *  Shuttle service pick-up at BNA or contact number for the volunteer scheduled for pick-up
    *  APSU Office of International Education: (931) 221-6851
    *  APSU Office of Housing: (931) 221-7444
    *  APSU Office of Public Safety (APSU 24-hour emergency contact number): (931) 221-7786 (Use to reach emergency contact of PDSO or other campus contact after business hours.)

    • When you arrive at your Point of Entry and pass through Customs and Border Protection, you will receive a stamp in your passport with the date of admission, class of admission (F1 or J1) and admitted-until-date (D/S). Check that your information is correct. If it is not correct, notify the Office of International Education as soon as you arrive on campus. Your electronic arrival/departure record (I-94) can be found online.
    • If for some reason, the CBP inspector cannot verify your information or you do not have all your required documents, you will go through secondary inspection. This allows inspectors more time to research and verify your information without delaying other passengers. It is very important that you have name and contact information for the Office of International Education director (after business hours, contact APSU Office of Public Safety.)
    • If you do not have all your required documents, you may be issued a Form-515A which will allow you temporary admission for 30 days in order to submit necessary documentation. If you receive this form, you will need to contact the Office of International Education immediately.

                  See further information from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Department of Homeland Security: Study in the States.