Skip Navigation
Photo of the Globe Theatre in London

Passport Process

Who needs a passport?

Any U.S. citizen that travels beyond the borders of the United States, including to Mexico and Canada must possess a valid U.S. passport to depart and re-enter the country.

If you are an international student, you will also need a valid passport and all of your valid immigration documents (DS-2019, I-20, I-94, visa, etc) to travel; however, the following passport application process will not be the process you will follow. Please contact the Office of International Education for more information.

When do I need to apply for my passport?

You should apply for your passport ASAP. Passport processing times vary depending on the volume of applications. You should apply at least three months in advance of the date of travel. Keep in mind that if the country you are traveling to requires a visa, you will need your passport ready in order to apply for that visa. Visas preocsseing times also vary depending on the country. 

How do I apply for my passport for the first time?

1. First-time applicants must apply in person at a passport acceptance facility or passport agency. In Clarksville you can choose from two acceptance facilities:

Main Post Office, 2031 Wilma Rudolph Blvd Clarksville, TN 37040 (931) 905-0927

Montgomery County Clerk, 350 Pageant Lane Clarksville, TN 37040 (931) 648-5711

2. You must bring the following documents with you to apply:

  • Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (select one of the following: certified birth certificate, consular report of birth abroad or certification of birth, naturalization certificate, certificate of citizenship)
  • Identification (select one of the following: naturalization certificate, valid Driver’s License, current Government ID, current military ID.

3. You must pay the processing fee for the passport, please visit the following passport fees website for the current fees or call the contact numbers above:

Cash or money order is the preferred method of payment for the application.

4. Provide two passport sized photos. * Check online for the photo requirements if you plan to take the photos yourself as some photos will not be acceptable. You can have passport photos made at many locations including the post-office and the Walgreens on Wilma Rudolph Blvd.

5. Although the passport application is available online for you to complete prior to visiting an acceptance facility, you should not sign the application until you are asked to do so at the acceptance facility.

How do I renew my passport?

If you are not a first-time applicant, you should consult the U.S. Department of State website for more information on how to renew your passport.

U.S. Permanent Residents must possess a valid passport from their home country to travel and also their permanent residency card (green card) to re-enter the United States.