Skip Navigation
Delphi theater in Greece

International Travel

You must have the third page of your I-20 or front page of your DS-2019 form signed by a university DSO/RO before traveling outside of the United States.

  • The signature date on your I-20 is valid for only one year of travel; check to make sure the signature is and will be valid upon return. It is recommended that there is at least 30 days between your anticipated re-entry and expiration of travel signature in case of any changes while out of the country.
  • Please contact the Office of International Education to make an appointment to get a travel signature.
  • It is recommended that you make the appointment at least 1 to 2 weeks before your expected departure date (from Clarksville) to ensure you can get an appointment in time.

You must make sure that your passport is valid up to six months after your re-entry date. 

Before leaving you must check to make sure that your student visa will still be valid upon re-entry into the U.S. If not, you will need to apply for a new visa prior to your return to the U.S. 

  • As long as your I-20/DS-2019 record in SEVIS is current and in good status, you do not need a valid visa to remain in the United States. A valid F-1 or J-1 visa is only required for international travel to re-enter the United States.
  • If you need to renew your visa in order to re-enter the United States, you must apply in person to a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad.
  • Applicants are normally required to submit the following documentation: valid passport, current passport-size photographs, valid Form I-20 (3 pages) or DS-2019, proof of financial support (bank statements and/or scholarship, or financial aid letter) and proof of enrollment (certificate of enrollment or transcript).
  • Certain students may be eligible to waive the visa interview process when renewing a visa. See the consulate or embassy website where you will be applying to see if you will be eligible.

These items should be in your carry-on bags (NOT in your checked luggage) when leaving and re-entering the U.S.

  • your I-20/DS-2019 (with travel signature)
  • passport
  • visa
  • financial support documentation
  • emergency contact information for the APSU SEVIS PDSO/RO and APSU Public Safety in case of after business hours emergency
  • other proof of student identification including transcripts, student I.D., current/next semester class schedule/registration
  • If you are on are OPT, you may also need proof of employment (job offer letter with start/end dates) and your EAD card.