Skip Navigation
Photo in France from an exchange program

Financial Aid Process

How do I apply for financial aid?

You must apply for a PIN (Personal Identification Number). The PIN serves as your electronic signature. You can apply by visiting the Federal Student Aid PIN Web site.

You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. APSU has a priority deadline of March 1.

* Summer Study Abroad participants are also required to submit the one-page summer APSU application for Student Financial Aid. These are normally available in our office or on the Office of Financial Aid Web site in February or early March.

I have completed my FAFSA, what is the next step?

Upon completion of the FAFSA, additional requirements may be needed. Please review your self-service account for required documents. Once your file has been completed and reviewed, an award offer will be made. Awards can be reviewed and accepted on AP Self Service via AP One Stop. Instructions on how to accept financial aid awards can be obtained here.

What types of financial aid are available for study abroad trips?

There are two main types of financial aid assistance offered by the Office of Financial Aid; student loans and grants. There are three types of grants: Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) and State Grants.

Federal Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford loans are available for undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in a degree program who meet the eligibility criteria. Graduate students are not eligible for loan funds for undergraduate courses. Parents of dependent undergraduate students may apply for a PLUS loans (Parent Loan). Students must maintain at least half-time status. These are all loans and do require repayment.

Federal Pell Grants are federal funds available to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or professional degree;are working toward a degree; and must meet federal government's eligibility criteria. This award is disbursed in accordance to your enrollment status. This award does not usually require repayment.

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG) is a campus-based aid program. Federal funds available for undergraduate students who meet the campus based priority deadline date, fund availability and the federal government's eligibility criteria. This award does not usually require repayment.

State grants are available to students who meet their state's eligibility criteria and any published application deadline dates. For example, the Tennessee Student Assistance Award (TSAA) is a state grant fund that is available to Tennessee residents who meet the Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation (TSAC) eligibility criteria, fund availability and the published application deadline date.

Can FSA funds be used for all study abroad programs?

If you are enrolled in an approved study abroad program taking classes for credit, you will be also registered for the equivalent course(s) here at APSU so you would be eligible to receive FSA funds.  Students in a semester exchange program are required to register full time (minimum of 12 credit hours).  APSU maintains current signed written agreements with all of our international institutions and also with our consortium programs (CCSA and ISEP). Details regarding the institution or consortium program can be found at (click on Programs and then name of the exchange or consortium program). During the International Education advising session, students will be given a cost breakdown showing all required program costs as well as estimates for any optional or additional costs. This information will be used by the Office of Financial Aid to determine individual student award amounts.

I have been awarded and accepted my awards. What do I do next?

Call the student financial aid office, (931)221-7907, to request an appointment with the assigned study-abroad counselor. This appointment will be for you to discuss your options in financing your study abroad trip.

What if I need to pay program fees before my aid is awarded?

In meeting with the study abroad counselor, it will be determined what funds are available to attend the trip. Upon review of the eligible funds, a study-abroad advancement can be issued (if applicable) to pay for your program cost until your funds are available.

Dealines to apply for a study abroad advancement:

  • Summer programs: dealine is May 1
  • Winter and Spring Break: dealine is Dec 1.

What if I elect not to participate in the study-abroad program?

You must understand that if a problem develops with your financial aid, you decide not to participate in the program or any other problem occurs, you are still responsible for repaying the amount borrowed from APSU. Therefore, you should immediately contact the financial aid representative for study abroad to discuss your options. Also, please submit the online Cancellation form found under "Application and Cancellation Forms."

What else do I need to know about financial aid?

All student financial aid recipients must maintain satisfactory academic progress toward achieving a degree according to the federal guidelines. Our satisfactory academic progress guidelines can be viewed here. If a student is not making progress, all federal aid will be cancelled.

Do I need to update my contact information?

Yes, you must update your contact information including current mailing address in APSU BANNER. You can contact the Office of the Registrar for more information on updating your information.

How do set up my direct deposit information?

In order to allow your balance checks to be transferred directly to your bank account, you must submit a Direct Deposit Form to the Bursar's Office. If you are out-of-country when the balance is available, this will be much more convenient than a paper check issued and mailed to your mailing address in BANNER.