Skip Navigation
Girl smiling in front of a landscape with the sun

Preparing to Depart

Study-Abroad Orientation

Student are required to attend the appropriate mandatory Study-Abroad Orientation. Please RSVP to

Winter 2012-2013/ Spring 2013 Programs

R.S.V.P. by e-mail for the following orientations listed below. Space is limited to 40 persons per orientation date and space is available on a first-come, first served basis. Orientations will last approximately two hours.

CCSA Winter Orientation   December 6, 2012, from 10:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in MUC305

Spring Exchange Program Orientations   Dates and time to be determined by specific programs. Please contact the Office of International Education.

Summer/ Fall 2013 Programs

R.S.V.P. by e-mail for the following orientations listed below. Space is limited to 40 persons per orientation date and space is available on a first-come, first served basis.

Study-Abroad Orientation  This is a required orientation for those who have applied for and been accepted to all APSU study-abroad programs for summer 2013.  This is mandatory for participants of both CCSA programs and non-CCSA programs.  Tuesday, April 2, 2013, 9:45 a.m.-12:15 p.m., MUC 303 OR Wednesday, April 3, 2013, 2:45 p.m.-5:15 p.m., MUC 303.  If this conflicts with your work or class schedule, an alternate time will be set up for you.

CCSA Orientation  May 2, 2013, from 10:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., in room MUC 303/305


Financial Aid Process

How do I apply for financial aid?

You must apply for a PIN (Personal Identification Number). The PIN serves as your electronic signature. You can apply by visiting the Federal Student Aid PIN Web site.

You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. APSU has a priority deadline of March 1.

* Summer Study Abroad participants are also required to submit the one-page summer APSU application for Student Financial Aid. These are normally available in our office or on the Office of Financial Aid Web site in February or early March.

I have completed my FAFSA, what is the next step?

Upon completion of the FAFSA, additional requirements may be needed. Please review your self-service account for required documents. Once your file has been completed and reviewed, an award offer will be made. Awards can be reviewed and accepted on AP Self Service via AP One Stop. Instructions on how to accept financial aid awards can be obtained here.

What types of financial aid are available for study abroad trips?

There are two main types of financial aid assistance offered by the Office of Financial Aid; student loans and grants. There are three types of grants: Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) and State Grants.

Federal Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford loans are available for undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in a degree program who meet the eligibility criteria. Graduate students are not eligible for loan funds for undergraduate courses. Parents of dependent undergraduate students may apply for a PLUS loans (Parent Loan). Students must maintain at least half-time status. These are all loans and do require repayment.

Federal Pell Grants are federal funds available to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or professional degree;are working toward a degree; and must meet federal government's eligibility criteria. This award is disbursed in accordance to your enrollment status. This award does not usually require repayment.

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG) is a campus-based aid program. Federal funds available for undergraduate students who meet the campus based priority deadline date, fund availability and the federal government's eligibility criteria. This award does not usually require repayment.

State grants are available to students who meet their state's eligibility criteria and any published application deadline dates. For example, the Tennessee Student Assistance Award (TSAA) is a state grant fund that is available to Tennessee residents who meet the Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation (TSAC) eligibility criteria, fund availability and the published application deadline date.

I have been awarded and accepted my awards. What do I do next?

Call the student financial aid office, (931)221-7907, to request an appointment with the assigned study-abroad counselor. This appointment will be for you to discuss your options in financing your study abroad trip.

What if I need to pay program fees before my aid is awarded?

In meeting with the study abroad counselor, it will be determined what funds are available to attend the trip. Upon review of the eligible funds, a study-abroad advancement can be issued (if applicable) to pay for your program cost until your funds are available.

What if I elect not to participate in the study-abroad program?

You must understand that if a problem develops with your financial aid, you decide not to participate in the program or any other problem occurs, you are still responsible for repaying the amount borrowed from APSU. Therefore, you should immediately contact the financial aid representative for study abroad to discuss your options. Also, please submit the online Cancellation form found under "Application and Cancellation Forms."

What else do I need to know about financial aid?

All student financial aid recipients must maintain satisfactory academic progress toward achieving a degree according to the federal guidelines. Our satisfactory academic progress guidelines can be viewed at here. If a student is not making progress, all federal aid will be cancelled.

Do I need to update my contact information?

Yes, you must update your contact information including current mailing address in APSU BANNER. You can contact the Office of the Registrar for more information on updating your information.

How do set up my direct deposit information?

In order to allow your balance checks to be transferred directly to your bank account, you must submit a direct deposit form and authorization form. If you are out-of-country when the balance is available, this will be much more convenient than a paper check issued and mailed to your mailing address in BANNER.


Registration Process

How do I know which coursework I need to register for?

Courses that are offered for the study-abroad programs will be made available in the program specific information.

If you do not see a course that you are interested in taking listed in the program information, you should speak directly with the faculty program coordinator to determine if this course will be offered.

If you are uncertain about which coursework you should take from the options available, you should speak with your academic adviser, Study-Abroad coordinator or the International Education Office to discuss the best fit for your degree program.

How do I register for the coursework?

Some programs require special permits to register for coursework. It is advisable to list the coursework you intend to take on your study-abroad application and to speak with the faculty program coordinator to discuss the registration process before trying to register through Self-Service.

Once you have spoken with the faculty coordinator of the program, log in to APSU Self-Service to register for the coursework, validate and confirm your registration.

Registration requirements:

  • You must be registered for APSU coursework to participate in any APSU Study-Abroad program. Students that are not registered at the time of departure for the program will not be allowed to participate in the program and will be responsible for any additional expenses resulting from their removal from the program.
  • If you fail to confirm or validate your coursework, your classes will be dropped after the mandatory drop period. Students with coursework that is not validated or confirmed are not permitted to participate in the APSU Study-Abroad programs and will be responsible for any additional expenses resulting from their removal from the program.


Payment Process

Study-Abroad program payments are divided into two categories.

1. Tuition and fees

All tuition and fees for APSU coursework completed in study-abroad programs should be paid into your student account as they are normally paid for on-campus courses. You can make payments online through Self-Service or make payments at the Browning Business Office Cashier’s Window. Tuition and fees should NOT be paid into the Study-Abroad Agency Account.

2. Study-Abroad program fees

All study-abroad program expenses including application fees, housing, travel, meals, excursions, etc. are paid into the Study-Abroad Program Agency Account. This amount should NOT be paid to your student account. You must pay the study-abroad program expenses at the Browning Business Office Cashier’s window. You cannot pay the study-abroad program expenses online or directly to the APSU faculty coordinator.

Payment requirements:

  • Students are required to pay in full for program fees prior to the deadline dates established by the study-abroad program. Failure to do so can result in removal from the program. Expenses that cannot be refunded to the study-abroad program including travel, housing and other arrangements will be charged to the student.
  • Tuition payments must be received by the deadline date established by the program and no later than the university’s mandatory drop period established for non-payment of tuition. If a student’s courses are dropped due to nonpayment or failure to confirm or validate courses, then the student may be removed from the study-abroad program. Certain expenses including travel, housing and other arrangements that cannot be refunded to the study-abroad program will be charged to the student.
  • If you have any questions about tuition or program fee payments, please contact the Office of International Education for assistance.


Passport Process

Who needs a passport?

Any U.S. citizen that travels beyond the borders of the United States, including to Mexico and Canada must possess a valid U.S. passport to depart and re-enter the country.

If you are an international student, you will also need a valid passport and all of your valid immigration documents (DS-2019, I-20, I-94, visa, etc) to travel; however, the following passport application process will not be the process you will follow. Please contact the Office of International Education for more information.

When do I need to apply for my passport?

Passport processing times vary depending on the volume of applications. You should apply at least three months in advance of the date you will purchase your airline ticket.

How do I apply for my passport for the first time?

1. First-time applicants must apply in person at a passport acceptance facility or passport agency. In Clarksville you can choose from two acceptance facilities:

Main Post Office, 2031 Wilma Rudolph Blvd Clarksville, TN 37040 (931) 905-0927

Montgomery County Clerk, 350 Pageant Lane Clarksville, TN 37040 (931) 648-5711

2. You must bring the following documents with you to apply:

  • Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (select one of the following: certified birth certificate, consular report of birth abroad or certification of birth, naturalization certificate, certificate of citizenship)
  • Identification (select one of the following: naturalization certificate, valid Driver’s License, current Government ID, current military ID.

3. You must pay the processing fee for the passport, please visit the following passport fees website for the current fees or call the contact numbers above:

Cash or money order is the preferred method of payment for the application.

4. Provide two passport sized photos. * Check online for the photo requirements if you plan to take the photos yourself as some photos will not be acceptable. You can have passport photos made at many locations including the post-office and the Walgreens on Wilma Rudolph Blvd.

5. Although the passport application is available online for you to complete prior to visiting an acceptance facility, you should not sign the application until you are asked to do so at the acceptance facility.

How do I renew my passport?

If you are not a first-time applicant, you should consult the U.S. Department of State website for more information on how to renew your passport.


U.S. Permanent Residents must possess a valid passport from their home country to travel and also their permanent residency card (green card) to re-enter the United States.