Student Employment
Go back

Student Employment

This page contains information for both student employees and departments seeking to hire student employees.  Minimum wage is $7.25 per hour.

In a effort to clearly delineate our student employee workforce from that of temporary employees, the following practices are in effect:

  • Students must be registered at least half time in classes in order to be eligible for student employment.  Half time is a minimum of three (3) credit hours at Fort Campbell Campus or a minimum of six (6) credit hours at Main Campus.

  • Students may not be employed as temporary APSU employees.  If individuals are enrolled in classes, they must be hired as student employees.

  • Student employees are considered part-time employees and they may make deferrals to 403(b), 401(k), and 457(b) plans.

  • Student employees may work no more than twenty (20) hours per week while enrolled in classes during the academic year (through the end of finals week).

  • Student employees may work no more than two (2) assignments at any given time.

  • Hiring departments must begin the general campus hiring process with Human Resources and the Federal Work Study hiring process with Student Financial Aid.

  • Hiring departments may choose to use one (1) of four (4) generic position descriptions or may develop one of their own.

  • Students may be paid more than $7.25 per hour depending on classification.

  • Pay rates higher than $16.89 per hour are approved on a case-by-case basis.

  • For more information, see the General Campus Student Employment Procedures or Federal Work Study Student Employment Procedures (documents linked below).

  • For information regarding General Campus Student Employment or termination of student employment, contact Lisa Ramsey at 221-7619.

  • For information regarding Federal Work Study assignments, contact Terri Huth at 221-6256.

  • For information regarding student time sheets or paychecks, contact Roxanne Grachanin at 221-7433 .

How does a student apply for a General Campus Position?

Apply for a General Campus Student Employment Position

How does a student employee make deferrals to 403(b), 401(k), and 457(b) plans?

Please refer to the Retirement section of our Benefits page for more information.

How does a department hire a General Campus Student Employee?

General Campus Student Employment Procedures

Student Employment Request Form (Open in Google Chrome to see the drop down menu/arrow at the end of the Action Item field.)

Generic Position Descriptions

Federal Work Study Hiring Procedures

Federal Work Study


Frequently Asked Questions