Hispanic Cultural Center Conversation Labs
Dr. Miguel Ruiz comes to the center twice a week to offer free tutoring and conversation labs to all students taking Spanish. For details check out the Events page of the HCC website.
- Spanish Phrases Flash Cards: 1000 cards covers glossary of essential words, travel, entertainment/sports, food/restaurant, clothes/shopping, money/bank, school/workplace, people/family, habitat, health/body, directions, weather/seasons, calendar, time, colors, exclamations, negatives, questions, and basics/greetings.
- Spanish Vocabulary Flash Cards: 1000 cards covers adjectives, adverbs, verbs, questions, body/health, food/restaurant/drink, sports/entertainment, studies/workplace, family/titles, habitat, weather, time, directions, travel, greetings, bank, clothes, and numbers.
- Mexopoly: This game is for up to 30 people. Property deeds cards are for places in Mexico such as the floating gardens of Xochimilco, the ruins of Teotihuacan and the Palacio de Bellas Artres. The goal is to be the wealthiest player through buying and renting property. All transactions must be in made in Spanish.
- Oraciones Divertidas (Silly Sentences): This game is set in a park. By taking a walk in the park (playing), you can learn the different parts of speech in order to make sentences.
- Mézcalalas (Mix it up and Match): Pick up vocabulary by learning the initial sound of words and finding matching words.
- Operando (Operation)
Hispanic Cultural Center Library Collection
Heidi Leming Hispanic Cultural Center Scholarship
Renewable: No, must re-apply each year
Process: Apply through our online scholarship application at https://www.apsu.edu/secure/scholarships/apply
Contact: Student Financial Aid (931) 221-7909
This scholarship was created in honor of Heidi Leming, former director of Student Life and Leadership. Heidi was instrumental in applying for a diversity access grant through the Tennessee Board of Regents and secured $13,000 to start a peer mentor program for Hispanic Students on campus as well as several other programs to bring greater awareness to Hispanic issues.
This scholarship is awarded to any undergraduate (sophomore to senior) student at APSU who has a 2.5 cumulative GPA and has actively participated in Hispanic Cultural Center Program Events.