Skip Navigation
Go Sooner

Frequently Asked Questions about Dual & Joint Enrollment


We know you will have many questions about dual enrollment, forms, procedures, etc. We have created this list of FAQs which answers the most common questions; however, we are always available to help so please contact us if you need any assistance. Linda Stolz (931) 221-7175 or

Back to the top

TermApplication DeadlineLast Day to
Payment Deadline
(100% fee adj)
Classes Begin
Fall I term @ Ft CampbellAugust 5August 14August 12August 13
Fall 2014 Main CampusAugust 5August 26August 24Agusut 25
Fall II term @ Ft CampbellOctober 8October 21 October 17October 18


What is dual enrollment? Joint enrollment?
Dual enrollment allows you to enroll in college courses and receive BOTH high school and college credit for that course. With joint enrollment you receive ONLY college credit for the course.

Back to the top

How do I qualify for dual or joint enrollment?
In order to participate in either enrollment program at Austin Peay, you must meet the following APSU admissions requirements:

  • Complete your sophomore year of high school.
  • Maintain a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale (high school cumulative GPA).
  • Submit a minimum ACT subscore of 19 in English and math (SAT 460 on Critical Reading and math). Only official scores from ACT or your transcript please; we cannot accept student reports or photocopies.
  • Be recommended by your high school principal or school counselor.
  • Have your parent's permission to enter the program.

Back to the top

What if I have not taken the ACT or SAT yet?
You may take the ACT-Residual. The ACT-Residual is used by APSU to meet admissions requirements and is given at designated times throughout the year. This test is for Austin Peay only. Results cannot be transferred to another school. Cost is $35. Call the Testing Center at 221-6269 for scheduling and further information.

Back to the top

What classes can I take?
Most classes are available to you, although we recommend that you consider classes that fulfill core requirements. When enrolling for dual credit, work with your school counselor to confirm that the classes will fulfill high school requirements or electives.

You may enroll in 1000- or 2000-level courses but should meet any course prerequisites. To enroll in upper division courses, you will need to meet the course prerequisites and obtain department chair permission.

Back to the top

What English courses can I take?
You must complete a high school junior English class in order to enroll in any APSU college-level English class. In addition, you must have a minimum ACT subscore of 19 in reading to qualify for the APSU English classes.

If you are planning to enroll after your high school graduation at APSU as a degree-seeking student, you can receive English credit based on ACT/SAT scores. If you have a valid ACT English score of 28 – 30 (SAT/SAT1 verbal/critical reading 630-690), you will receive credit for English 1010. Those with a valid ACT English score of 31 – 36 (SAT/SAT1 verbal/critical reading 700 – 800) will receive credit for English 1010 and 1020. You will receive this credit only if you have not already received college credit for English 1010 and 1020.

In addition, this credit can only be applied towards your degree program as an APSU student; therefore, you cannot apply it towards English 1010 and 1020 as a dual or joint enrolled student.

Back to the top

How many classes can I take?
APSU has no limits on the number of classes you can take – but your high school may set specific requirements. Be sure to check with your school counselor office for the guidelines you must follow.

Back to the top

Can I take classes for more than one semester?
Yes. Once you complete your sophomore year, you can take classes each semester – but you must re-apply each term. The high school student authorization form, most current high school transcript and grant/scholarship applications must be resubmitted for each semester that you enroll for dual or joint credit classes. You also can take classes offered during the summer sessions.

Back to the top

Can I take online classes?
Yes, but online classes should not be your first choice. Ask yourself these important questions before you enroll in an online class:

  • Am I disciplined enough to check my classes frequently throughout the semester (at least three times a week)?
  • Can I work independently?
  • Do I have access to a high speed Internet connection?

Also, you will want to talk with your school counselor about taking an online class; some schools have restrictions or other requirements for these classes.

Back to the top

Can I take classes at APSU Center @ Fort Campbell?
Yes. However, the Austin Peay Center @ Fort Campbell operates on a different academic calendar, so be sure to check that those classes still fit into your high school schedule. To get more information about the Center, go to or contact the Center for Extended and Distance Education.

Back to the top

What is a cohort group?
Typically, a cohort is a class held off campus and designed for a specific student group. For dual enrollment, these classes have the following characteristics:

  • The instructor may be a member of your high school faculty but must also meet the requirements set by APSU's academic department overseeing the course, including teaching credentials, syllabus and textbooks.
  • The class usually meets at the high school during the regular school day or sometimes at another designated location and time.
  • Students are high school students only and are sometimes a combination of those taking the class for dual credit and those taking it for high school credit only. Classes also may be composed of students from one high school or sometimes draw from several schools in the system.

Back to the top

Are the qualifications and processes for the cohort groups any different?
The qualifications are the same (3.0 GPA, 19 ACT subscores, etc.) The application and admissions process is also the same; however, we usually offer additional assistance in coordinating your admission and registration as a group. Depending on the courses, other prerequisites may be required; for example students taking APSU history or English courses must also have an ACT reading subscore of 19.

Back to the top

What is the Clarksville-Montgomery County School System’s Middle College, and how is it different from the dual enrollment program?
The Middle College concept is different from the dual enrollment program in that students in Middle College actually leave their high school and become Middle College students on the APSU campus where they take at least one dual enrollment course per semester. If you are active in the various extracurricular activities offered at your high school, you will want to stay at your current school. In addition, admission to Middle College is limited to 120 students per year. More information is found at the Clarksville Montgomery County School System website.

Back to the top

How do I apply for admission as a dual or joint enrolled student?
You must complete the following application items:

  • Application for Admissions - required only the first time you apply.*
  • High School Student Authorization - reapply each semester of dual enrollment.
  • Official ACT scores - the Admissions Office must receive official results directly from ACT or from the high school transcript provided by your high school counselor. We cannot accept a student copy.
  • Official high school transcript - ask your high school counselor to submit an official and current transcript. The transcript must be the most recent prior to your term of dual enrollment. For example, if you are taking a dual enrollment course in the spring semester, we must have your final fall semester high school transcript as soon as it is available.
  • Forms for any applicable discounts you are eligible for.
  • Immunization Health History form - required only the first time you apply. This documents the status of your vaccinations for hepatitis B and meningitis. All students must complete the entire form, regardless of where your class is held or that you are in high school.
  • Certificate of immunization - all students enrolled in 6 or more credit hours per semester are required to show proof of MMR and varicella (chickenpox) vaccinations or immunity. Home schooled students must submit complete immunization records.

Remember to check that all forms are filled in completely, include all required signatures and are submitted by the requested deadlines! You may check deadlines on APSU’s academic calendar at ALL forms should be sent first to the Extended Education office where we will review and verify for accuracy before sending them on to the appropriate department.

*Although the official application for the fall semester is in late July, we request that all dual/joint students complete the application documents by no later than May 1st. Attempting to handle applications during the summer break is extremely problematic, causing multiple delays just prior to the start of the semester.

*The APSU Application for Admission is the key document in getting you enrolled for your first semester. To prevent delays be sure to submit it as soon as possible – no processing will be done on any of your paperwork, regardless of what other items you may have submitted, until the regular application for admission is received.

Back to the top

Where do I send all of the completed forms?
Please send everything to the Center for Extended and Distance Education, Attn: Linda Stolz, APSU, Box 4678, Clarksville, TN 37044. Office staff will log everything as it is received and see that it is delivered to the appropriate campus location in a timely manner.

Back to the top

What if I have questions about the applications?
Go to the AP Self Service Screen at, choose "Apply for Admission or Check Application Status" and select “Dual, Joint or Early Admit” from the list. The program will guide you through the Application for Admission and you can save your work and come back later to complete if needed.

When asked for your major, choose “undecided.” That major code is “UND.”

Instructions for AP Self Service can be found online at

You also may contact the Admissions Office, or (931) 221-7661, or the Center for Extended and Distance Education with any questions: Linda Stolz at 221-7175 or

Back to the top

Is there an application fee?
The application fee for dual or joint enrollment is waived. If applying online, you must select the “dual/joint enrollment” application type in order to get the fee waived.

If you later apply for admission to APSU as a freshman, you will be required to pay an application fee at that time.

Back to the top

What happens once I am admitted?
You will receive a letter from the Admissions Office indicating your admissions status and your new APSU Student ID number. Please allow anywhere from two to four weeks for processing. This letter also will tell you if there is any additional information still required for your file. Please submit anything requested as soon as possible to prevent delays in your enrollment.

You also will be contacted by the Extended Education office with specific instructions to register for class.

Back to the top

How much does it cost?
Following is a summary of the 2013-14 academic year fees.* For complete details on all fees, go to

Main campus: $297.20 per credit-hour (excludes flat fees)
Fort Campbell: $244.25 per credit-hour

*NOTE: Amounts shown here are for the 2013-14 academic year. Annual tuition and fees are set in June each year by the Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR).

Back to the top

Is there any financial aid available?
Dual and joint enrolled students have three financial aid options - all are handled through the Extended Education office (NOT Financial Aid). Please do not submit a FAFSA for dual or joint enrollment.

Tennessee residents are eligible for the Tennessee Dual Lottery Grant, which provides $100 per semester credit – up to $600 per semester, up to $1,200 per academic year. The application is online only and can be found at

Deadlines for online lottery grant applications are (NO exceptions!):
Fall semesters:         September 15
Spring semesters:    February 1
Summer semesters: May 15

If a student receives the DEG for more than four courses ($1,200), any additional DEG funds received will be deducted from his/her HOPE scholarship during the first semester of his/her freshman year.

NOTE: Students do not receive official notification from the grant program after submitting the online application. If you are eligible, have applied for the grant and are admitted and registered for class - you will receive the grant money. APSU verifies grant applications only after you register for class and all requested information is received and on file in the Extended Education office. The grant will NOT appear on your student account until all of the above are received and verified.

You must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.75 in your college credits to receive the Dual Lottery Scholarship in subsequent semesters. If you decide to drop a class, the scholarship will not be affected if you do so within 14 days of the semester start. If your college GPA falls below 2.75, you will not be eligible to receive dual enrollment lottery funds in the future. This will not, however, affect your eligibility for Hope Scholarship funds once you graduate from high school.

APSU GoSooner Dual Enrollment Award
The GoSooner Award provides $94 per credit-hour for up to six credit-hours for a maximum of $564 per semester. The award is renewable provide the students continues to meet the same requirements as for the lottery grant (2.75 GPA in college classes). The continuance of the GoSooner Award program is subject to the availability of funding.

In addition, dual and joint enrolled students receive funding to cover up to six hours of the program service fees at $64.20 per credit-hour (up to $385.20).

Austin Peay also offers a need-based scholarship for dual enrolled students meeting low family income guidelines.

All students must meet eligibility requirements and reapply each semester for all aid programs. Funding will not be available in any subsequent semesters if the student's college GPA falls below 2.75.

Back to the top

Will Dual Enrollment classes affect my eligibility for the Tennessee Hope Scholarship upon graduation from high school?
Dual enrollment classes will not be included in determining eligibility for the Tennessee Hope Scholarship. You remain qualified to receive the full Hope Scholarship upon graduation from high school. Even though you have taken these dual enrollment classes during high school, you will be classified as a first-time freshman for financial aid purposes after high school graduation. In addition, the GPA for your high school college classes is not factored in to your college GPA once you are a freshman; in other words, it will neither hurt or help your GPA once you are in college.

Back to the top

May I use the Dual Enrollment Lottery Grant for summer classes?
Yes. However, recent sophomores must provide proof that they are already classified as a junior. In addition, if the student has already used the $600 maximum grant for the previous fall and spring semesters, she/he cannot receive additional grant money in the summer semester.

Back to the top

How do I register for classes?
When you are admitted the Extended Education office will send you specific instructions; you will first notify the Extended Education office of which course(s) you plan to take. After we receive your email notification and confirm you have been cleared to register, you will receive another email. You will then proceed with your registration using AP OneStop. The AP OneStop link is found on the main page of at the top and right of the page.

The following link is an excellent resource for registration information, including helpful screen shots:

If it’s an online class, please review the online orientation at Look for “Online Orientation” in the navigation bar on the left side of the Web page. Also helpful is the video at

Contact us at (931)221-7175 or if you have any questions.

Remember, you are NOT enrolled until ALL admissions and registration paperwork is complete and you have paid your fees!

Back to the top

What is a “PIN” number?
The PIN number is a six-digit number composed of the month, day and year of your birth. Upon signing into AP Self Service for the first time, you will be prompted to change your PIN to a six-digit number that only you will know. You will use it in combination with your student ID number when using AP Self Service to register and pay fees.

Note: APSU no longer uses Social Security numbers for identification purposes. Your student ID number is assigned randomly and always will begin with the letter “A” – so if anyone asks you for your “A” number, that is to what they are referring.

Back to the top

What is a “CRN?”
This is a number in the registration system that specifically identifies the particular section of a course for which you wish to register. They can be found in the class schedule at AP Web Self Service.

CRNs for cohort group classes will not always appear in the course schedule to prevent other students from registering in that class; APSU representatives will provide the CRN in those cases.

Back to the top

What if the class I want is full?
If the class for which you want to register shows as full, you may contact the instructor to see about getting permission to register. He/she will need to submit an override form to allow you into the class if there are additional spaces available. If the class is online, you may wish to contact the Extended Education office, they will assist you with contacting the instructor.

Back to the top

How do I pay tuition?
Once you have registered for your classes, you can see your total fees at AP Web Self Service in “Student Account” (see directions below).

Tuition and fees must be paid prior to the deadline for each semester. Please note there is a late registration fee of $50 if registration and fee payment occur during the “late registration” period on the official academic calendar.

You can pay three ways:
A. Pay online using a credit card through OneStop at
    1. Click on “Enter secure area” and enter your User ID and PIN;
    2. Click on “Student, Financial Aid, VA and Housing”;
    3. Click on “Student Account”;
    4. Click on “Account Detail for Term/Confirm Enrollment/Credit Card Payment”;
    5. Select the term from the drop-down menu;
    6. Select “pay now.”
B. Or, pay in person – come to the Business Office in the Browning Administration Building on campus.
C. Or, pay by mail – mail your check or credit card information to
    APSU Business Office
    P.O. Box 4635
    Clarksville, TN 37044

*Instructions for AP Self Service can be found online at the following link (scroll down the page a bit to see this section):

Back to the top

What if I live in Kentucky or have other out-of-state status?
Students living in the Kentucky counties of Allen, Calloway, Christian, Logan, Todd or Trigg are not charged out-of-state tuition. If you are not within an easy driving distance to APSU for campus classes, you have the option to take online classes for dual/joint credit.

If you are a non-citizen from outside the United States, you will be required to pay the out-of-state rate.

Back to the top

What if I my parent is active-duty military?
A military discount is available only if you take classes at the APSU Center @ Fort Campbell (level 1000 through 2000 courses only).

Please note, when filling out your application for admission, you must complete both sections 15 (residency) and 22 (active duty/veterans/family members) of the application in order for your account to be coded correctly and the discount applied.

Back to the top

How do I know what textbooks to purchase?
Go to APSU Bookstore’s Web site at Look for a link where you can select the term of your enrollment. Follow the prompts to input your course name, course number and section number to get a list of books for your class.

Back to the top

How and where do I buy my textbooks?
You are responsible for purchasing the necessary textbook(s) for your classes. You may purchase them at the APSU Bookstore located in the Catherine Harvill building in the center of campus, online at with another vendor in town or other online source.

Remember, it is necessary to have the course name, number and section with you when you make inquiries and purchases at the APSU Bookstore or at another Clarksville vendor.

Back to the top

How do I get to my class on campus?
You are responsible for your own transportation to and from class. When you schedule your dual or joint enrollment class, make sure to account for the time required to be at class on time.

Back to the top

Where do I park on campus?
A parking decal is required when you attend class on APSU's main campus. The cost of the decal is included in your campus fees; instructions on obtaining a decal and other information can be found at
To see designated parking locations, go to for an interactive campus map. There is also a link here to a printable parking map.

Back to the top

Do I have access to campus facilities and activities?
Yes, if your class is on the main campus, the fees you paid with your tuition cover parking, athletic events, campus recreation center, the library, etc.

Back to the top

Any hints to make this all go smoothly?
1.  Always read through everything carefully and follow the instructions provided.
2.  Double-check all forms for completion - incomplete forms are returned, causing delays.
3.  Remember to get all required signatures - including your own - on all documents.
4.  Pay attention to deadlines, and submit everything as early as possible.
5.  Be sure we have current phone numbers and working e-mail addresses for the student and parents.
6.  Don't hesitate to contact us with any questions: Linda Stolz, at 221-7175 or

Please be patient. There are a number of steps - but if you submit everything complete and before deadlines, you will be taking college classes very soon!



Return to the main GoSooner page