Skip Navigation

Federal Work Study

The Federal Work Study (FWS) employment program is funded by the Federal Government. It is intended to promote and encourage part-time employment of students to assist the University and its surrounding community.

FWS may be available for students who meet the priority deadline date and the Federal Government's eligibility criteria. This program allows students to earn money to assist in paying for educational expenses. These awards are not available to pay tuition and fees because they are earned throughout the semester.

Applying for FWS

In order to receive FWS you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. The priority deadline is February 1; however, funds may be depleted before the priority deadline is met. Therefore, you should apply as soon as possible after the FAFSA opens October 1.

Recipients must be in good academic standing, be enrolled at least half-time and have financial aid need.

Job Placement

If awarded FWS, it will be included in your award notification via AP e-mail and listed with your Financial Aid award in AP OneStop. You will need to accept the offer online through AP OneStop within 14 days of your award notification. You should call the Financial Aid office at (931) 221-7907 to schedule an appointment for job placement


Income earned through FWS does not have to be repaid. The hourly wage is determined by the department. Students are paid strictly by the hour on a bi-weekly schedule. Earnings from FWS will be direct deposited into the student's designated banking account.

Student Responsibilities 

The Student must:

  • Complete all required paperwork.
  • Maintain good academic standing.
  • Be enrolled at least half-time.
  • You are not allowed to work during scheduled classes, exam times, or beyond your approved end date.
  • Work a maximum of 20 hours per week while classes are in session. Note that once you have earned the maximum yearly amount of your award, you will not be able to work further. In general, students will need to work less than 20 hours per week in order to be able to work throughout the entire term.
  • Work no more than eight hours per day.
  • Notify your supervisor in advance if you are going to be absent or late for work.
  • Submit your timesheet on the web time entry system before the scheduled deadline. Late or unsubmitted timesheets will delay your direct deposit earnings.
  • Adhere to the general dress code.
  • Arrive at the department prepared to work. Federal Work Study is merely the name of the program. It does not mean that you can study while at work.

You must stop working once you have earned your award limit. If you wish to be re-assigned, you will need to call the Financial Aid Office at (931) 221-7907 for a new placement contract.

Department Responsibilities

The department must submit the completed Placement Form along with a copy of the job description to the Office of Student Financial Aid.

The department supervisor and the student will receive an email from Human Resources with an approved start date. You may not allow the student to start before approval from HR or work during class time.

The department supervisor must:

  • Establish a work schedule with the student and explain the duties and responsibilities of the job.
  • Notify the Financial Aid Office if a student does not report to work.
  • Monitor the hours worked to ensure the student does not exceed the yearly award or work past the approved end date. Students are not allowed to work more than 20 hours per week when class is in session and never over 8 hours per day. More hours are allowed during school breaks, not to exceed the yearly awarded amount.
  • Verify the accuracy of student web time entry before approving. Timesheets become official records subject to audit by the federal government. Supervisors are accountable for the accuracy of these records.
  • Provide evaluation of student's work performance and supervise accordingly. Evaluations are mailed to each department during the month of April.
  • Notify the Financial Aid Office and Human Resources Office if a student's placement is terminated.