Skip Navigation
APSU Logo, ESL Students APSU Logo, ESL Students Group Photo in Atlanta

Register for ESL Classes using MyCAA funding


MyCAA (Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts Program)

Who is Eligible?
Spouses of service members on active duty in pay grades E-1 to E-5, W-1 to W-2 and O-1 to O-2 who can start and complete their coursework while their military sponsor is on Title 10 military orders, including spouses married to members of the National Guard and Reserve Components in these same pay grades. (Source: MyCAA Fact Sheet)

Step One:  In order to receive MyCAA funding for ESL classes, you must work directly with the ESL Coordinator to create a suitable program plan. Please make an appointment to start this process: email

Step Two:
Complete the ESL Institute Application (found online). Be sure to check the MyCAA payment option. This information will be used to create a personalized Education and Training Plan needed by MyCAA to apply for financial assistance. Specific course registration can be changed up to 15 days before course start date if needed.

Step Three: 
Create an account with MyCAA (if you do not have one already). To create an account, go to

Step Four:
Apply for Financial Assistance (FA) through your MyCAA account. (Under the Financial Assistance tab, choose Apply for FA). You will need:

  • Course description (course number) and title—please contact the ESL Institute if you do not already have this information
  • Start/End dates
  • Course costs

**Be sure to apply for your FA no less than 15 days before the start date of class but no more than 60 days before the start date.**

Step Five:
Once your FA has been approved, be sure to sign your FA through your MyCAA account (Under Financial Assistance tab, choose My Enrollments; Enrollments with missing signature). After signing, send a copy to the ESL Institute by email (; fax (931-221-7748) or in person to the McReynolds building, room 202.

Step Six:
If taking semester-long or 5-week summer courses, make a registration appointment with the ESL Institute to complete your registration. (Not needed for 6-week courses.) You may also bring your signed FA at this time.



More information about MyCAA can be found at

If I have a question about MyCAA accounts, can the ESL Institute help me? Mostly likely, no. MyCAA is a separate program and the ESL Institute is only able to give limited help and information. Contact a MyCAA Career and Education Consultant by phone (1-800-342-9647) or use your Message Box in your MyCAA account.

Can the FA be edited if it is incorrect? Yes, you (not your spouse) can make edits to your FA requests as long as the FA has not been approved by a Spouse Career Center Consultant. If the FA has been approved, you will need to call MyCAA (1-800-342-9647) to see if an edit can be made to the document.

What if my total amount for the semester is more than the $2000 per year limit? You may qualify for a waiver as long as you have an excess remaining balance.

What will happen if I fail or withdraw from a course? Spouses will have to demonstrate successful completion of their courses in order to continue using MyCAA funding. If a spouse receives a failing grade or withdraws from a class for which the government is charged any money, their MyCAA account will be suspended. The spouse will need to contact a Spouse Education and Career Opportunities Counselor for education counseling regarding how the spouse can prevent reoccurrences, complete incomplete courses, and continue successfully pursuing their portable career.


Return to ESL Home Page    Return to CEDE Home Page