APSU Transitional Certification Information
Eligibility for Transitional License:
The transitional licensing program allows an individual who has earned the Bachelor’s degree to teach and earn their certification at the same time.
- Must have earned at least a Bachelor’s degree with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75.
- Must have earned at least 24 semester hours in the endorsement area they wish to teach or Passed the Praxis II Content Knowledge exam in the endorsement area (except for Early Childhood, Elementary, Middle, or Special Education*)
- Signed contract by School System to teach in chosen endorsement area.
Austin Peay State University offers certification through Transitional Licensing in the following areas: Art, Biology, Chemistry, Elementary Education (K-6)*, Early Childhood (PreK-3)*, English, French, German, Government, Health, History, Latin, Mathematics, Middle Grades (4-8)*, Music, Physical Education, Physics, School Counseling, Spanish, and Special Education*. In some cases, we can sponsor students in areas other than the ones above but that decision is made an individual level. We do not sponsor students for occupational licenses.
*Unless a student has completed an undergraduate degree in early childhood, elementary education, middle grades education, or special education, coursework in these areas will have to be completed before the candidate can be on a transitional license.
Candidates will be expected to complete six courses in pedagogy. In some cases, the required course work may have been completed with degree requirements. If not, coursework will be required to complete your certification.
Required courses are:
EDUC 5080 – Classroom Management
EDUC 5501 – Models of Teaching
EDUC 5530 – Evaluation & Assessment
EDUC 5540 – Instructional Technologies
EDUC 5550 – Teaching & Learning
SPED 5550 – Trends and Issues in Special Education
Our program is designed for the individual to earn a Master’s degree by taking four additional courses:
EDUC 5000 - Research in Education
EDUC 5500 - Foundations of Education
EDUC 5520 - Teaching in a Pluralistic Society
RDG 5040 - Content Area Reading
- All Praxis II Exams must be completed for endorsement area.
- 2. Completion of one year of mentoring provided by the district and APSU. For those teaching outside Clarksville/Montgomery County, a two hour mentoring course is required to meet this requirement.
- Completion of one year of successful teaching on a Transitional License.
- Completion of Milestone IV Portfolio via Livetext.
Contact for transitional license?
Jana F. Hatcher
PO Box 4428
Clarksville, TN 37044