Data Governance StructureIn order to ensure that the data governance process functions smoothly, a structure has been created which defines committees and individual roles related to data governance. In addition to these responsibilities, the data governance committees have the authority to create and assign subcommittees to research or define special topics related to data governance. The Data Governance program at APSU will bring staff together from across the university to determine the best way to maintain and utilize data. The program will include several committees of key stakeholders. The committees will operate within the hierarchy depicted below.
Data Governance Steering Committee
- Ensure the integrity and effective use of data through the collaborative, cross-unit data governance committees.
- Establish, review, and maintain a Data Governance Charter.
- Periodically assess the data governance maturity level at APSU and make recommendations to enhance data governance maturity.
- Review systems diagrams and other information depicting all major data systems and the data flow among systems.
- Develop, review, and maintain data governance policies, including defining the appropriate use and management of data.
- Review data classification protocols.
- Review and revise job descriptions to add Data Stewardship, as appropriate.
- Serve as Advisory Board to Director of Information Security and review Security and
- Create, review, and distribute published university policies related to data management and appropriate use
- Create, review, and distribute published policies related to data security and data access
- Improve ease of access to data (through ERP data systems access and reporting)
- Improve data security
- Remove barriers to effective use of data
- Reduce risk associated with improper data use
- Define and assign security access to data system
The individuals who serve on the data governance committees include those within the university who oversee, manage, and or maintain data, as shown in the following table. These members are appointed in consultation with the vice presidents and other members of the senior leadership team.
|Data Area||Data Governance Steering Committee (Data Trustees)|
|Provost's Office/Academic Affairs||Lynne Crosby (chair), Vice Provost and Associate Vice President|
|DSIR||Director of Decision Support and Institutional Research|
|Finance||Sherry Demaray, Associate Vice President|
|Human Resources||Kyla House, Interim Executive Director|
|Counseling and Health Services||Jeff Rutter, Director|
|Housing||Joe Mills, Director|
|Advancement||Monica Wirts, Database and Prospect Research Specialist|
|Student Affairs||Greg Singleton, Dean of Students|
|Enrollment Management||Beverly Boggs, Associate Provost|
|University Design and Construction||Marc Brunner, Director|
|Information Technology||Judy Molnar, Associate Vice President and Chief Information Officer|
|Information Technology Security (ex officio)||Stephanie Taylor, Director|
|Internal Audit (ex officio)||Blayne Clements, Chief Audit Officer|
Data Standards Committee
- Establish a systems diagram depicting all major data systems and documenting the data
flow among systems
- Create additional documentation for each data system which a description and information about the primary departments involved in maintaining the data, where it is hosted, which department manages security or data feeds, and shared content.
- Document Business Processes
- Document business processes
- Document process timelines
- Document data entry standards
- Document responsibility shared data initiatives
- Document and Enhance Data Quality:
- Document data quality procedures
- Document accountability for data cleanup
- Document system of record and data flow to other systems
- Development of training for users
Membership of the Data Standards Committee will be published after the roster is confirmed.
Data Delivery Committee
- Create and maintain a published University Data Dictionary
- Create and manage a glossary of business technical terms used in reporting
- Help users have a clear understanding of the meaning of data
- Document queries and reports, and associated business rules
- Improve the timeliness of reporting
- Improve presentation of data
- Establish reporting metrics
- Determine content areas and delivery method(s) of the University Fact Book and Budget Book
- Establish consistency in internal and external reporting
- Create and maintain training materials for users
Membership of the Data Delivery Committee will be published after the roster is confirmed.