MLK Creative Response/Essay Guidelines
APSU Diversity Committee Essay Contest
In conjunction with the university’s celebration of the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., the Diversity Committee is sponsoring a creative response/essay contest on the theme “Gift of Love.” All Austin Peay undergraduates are eligible to submit responses with the following guidelines in mind:
1) An essay must contain 400-700 words, be formatted in 12-point Times New Roman font with double-spacing, and if citations are necessary, they should adhere to a consistent citation (MLA or APA for example).
2) If you complete a piece of art or a visual project (such as a painting or photograph), please upload a digital image of the work in an easily viewable format (.jpg, ppt.). If you create a song, dance, or other type of performance, it should be filmed and uploaded to YouTube, and the URL should be included in the written description of your project (see below). Videos of these works are limited to three minutes in length.
3) All projects except essays must be accompanied by a brief written description (no more than 100 words) formatted in 12-point Times New Roman font with double-spacing, and in the citation style (MLA or APA, for example). The description should explain what the project is, why you created it, and how it connects to the theme. Your written description should also be in a format that is compatible with Microsoft (.doc, .docx).5) It is imperative that you cite the sources for your creative response properly.
Deadline: Essays must be submitted via email to APSU Diversity Committee between January 1, 2016 and January 29, 2016 at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Essays will be judged by a team of readers from the Department of Languages and Literature. Judges will be looking for the following:
- Evidence of original thought and rigorous approach to interpreting the quote.
- Attention to detail through clear writing and/or visual presentation
- Evidence of a clear relationship to the theme embodied in Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s quote.
- Evidence of critical and/or creative analysis
- Evidence of distinct and compelling style
For questions, you may contact Dr. Erin Lynch-Alexander at email@example.com