We are unique in Tennessee with our approach to communication: we want you to learn both in the classroom and with a "hands on" approach beginning with your Freshman year!
The Department of Communication has more than 500 undergraduate Communication Arts majors enrolled in our concentrations including Broadcast Media, Corporate Communication, Information Specialist, Internet Technology, Media Technology, Print and Web Journalism, Public Relations, and Sports Broadcasting. In addition, we offer Master's degrees in Communication Arts with more than 100 students enrolled from all over the United States in these online programs. They study in our Corporate or General Communication specializations or in our Marketing Communication and Media Management concentrations.
WHAT MAKES US UNIQUE
- Potential for career success. Our students are prepared to find fulfilling and financially rewarding communication industry careers as the U. S. Department of Labor Census Bureau predicts solid growth in most all communication professions through 2022.
- Students come first. We think of students as our clients and, as such, helping students achieve their goals and objectives is our first priority, and it really is for us.
- Classes are small. In our Department, as in almost all Austin Peay classrooms, class size is determined based on the best enviroment for student learning. You get personal attention from your instructor.
- Core classes provide our students with unique perspectives to help them enjoy employment success. Through reviewing cultural values and norms, developing career portfolios, learning media history and development, and merging them into applied theory into real word practice.
- Work with excellent faculty. You're taught by caring professors with excellent academic credentials and real-world communication industry experience.
- Learn by doing. Through internships, and independent studies, students have the opportunity to work in the communication industry with professionals. This translates into industry positions.
- Learn the latest technology. Our department is wired with the latest hardware and software technology, including a moblie broadcast van, students are emersed in digital audio and video production, desktop publishing and web design.
- Participate in student organizations sponsored by Nashville professional communicators. We have the Broadcast Education Association, National Broadcasting Society (AERho), and the Public Relations Student Society of America Chapters right in our department.
- Take advantage of our internship (off-campus) and practicum (on-campus) programs while earning college credit and gaining communication industry experience working with professionals while supervised by Communication Department faculty.
- Conduct state of the art communication research. In our Communication Research Center, you'll learn to conduct computer-aided telephone surveys, political polls, marketing communication research, and develop your investigative skills.
- Produce real audio and video programing and design website. With our Gov's APSU- TV, television studio, digital editing bay, Web design computer laboratory, and WAPX - FM radio, remote sports broadcasting facilities including a decked-out remote telecast van, you'll gain the hands-on experience so essential for all of the communication industry careers today.
- Have fun while learning! Our program is challenging, yet fun and user-friendly. We offer you the opportunities to grow both in the classroom and with "hands-on" practice from your Freshmen year onward. You'll enjoy getting to know fellow students, faculty, staff, and community members.