Skip Navigation

Graduation Frequently Asked Questions

When do I apply for my degree?

You must fill out your application for degree one semester/term prior to your intended graduation. Typically, the deadlines are as follows:

Graduation DateDeadline to File Application
May (Spring Semester)February
August (Summer Term)June
December (Fall Semester)September



Please check our Application for Degree page or the University Academic Calendar for application deadline dates.

How do I get a duplicate copy of my diploma?

Please contact Jasmine O'Brien at (931) 221-7124 or There is a $10 fee for the duplicate diploma. Please allow two weeks for processing.

Is there a fee for my degree?

Yes, there is a required fee for all degrees awarded. This fee is mandated by the Tennessee Board of Regents, regardless of participation in the ceremony. Your graduation fee pays for your cap, gown, tassel, diploma, and diploma tube.

Associate                        $25
Bachelor                        $30
Master and Education Specialist                        $35


Am I graduating with honors?

To graduate with honors you must have achieved the following Inclusive cumulative Grade Point Averages prior to the semester of commencement:


  • Cum Laude: 3.500 - 3.699
  • Magna Cum Laude: 3.700 - 3.899
  • Summa Cum Laude: 3.900 - 4.000


  • With Honor: 3.85 or higher

Do I get to wear an Honor Cord?

If you are an Undergraduate, graduating with honors, you are allowed to wear an honor cord. Cords may be purchased in the Bookstore. Cord costs ARE NOT included with graduation fees.


  • Cum Laude: 3.500 - 3.699 white $12.99
  • Magna Cum Laude: 3.700 - 3.899 red/white $12.99
  • Summa Cum Laude: 3.900 - 4.000 red/white/gold $19.99

What if I cannot make it to Grad Gala?

If you can’t come to Grad Gala or don’t plan to come to campus until graduation day, you will be able to pick up the cap and gown from Registrar personnel in the Dunn Center Lobby on the day of your commencement ceremony. You can then login to OneStop/Self-Service and pay online instead of having to come to campus. You need to print your payment confirmation/receipt.

I want to make sure I've turned in everything for graduation.

You must see:

I need a letter saying I will graduate or I have graduated.

You must contact Jasmine O'Brien, or Sherry Comperry.

Can my wife/husband pick up my diploma?

Yes, if you will send a signed letter of permission to so that he/she can pick it up. They must show a picture ID and sign for the diploma.

Questions concerning course substitutions?

Please see your Academic Advisor in regards to if a course could substitute for another. Once substitutions are completed, you may contact the appropriate Graduation Analyst for further questions in regards to your degree.

How do I get my graduation announced in my local newspaper?

Degree candidates who wish to have graduation information released to their hometown newspaper must complete a form on APSU's Web site for that information to be sent.

Also, students who believe they are eligible for the Dean's List and would like to have this academic accomplishment released to their hometown newspaper, must complete a separate form to have this information sent to the hometown newpaper. Shortly after the completion of each semester, the Office of the Registrar will have a complete list of students who achieved the Dean’s List.

Lists of both graduation candidates and Dean's List scholars will be sent automatically to The Leaf-Chronicle in Clarksville. Use the Web links below to complete the appropriate form if you want a hometown newspaper to be notified. Forms must be completed in their entirety.

If you have any questions about hometown press releases, please contact the Office of Public Relations and Marketing, 221-7459.

Thank you, and congratulations on your achievements.