Checklist for Graduate Degree Seeking Students
- The student submits an application for admission to a specific
degree program to the College of Graduate Studies. All students must
meet admission requirements prior to the completion of nine (9) semester
hours of graduate course work.
- The student completes additional program-specific admission
requirements, if applicable.
- The student receives a letter of admission from the College of
- If admission is conditional, all conditions must be met prior
to filing Graduate Program of Study and qualifying for admission to
- If admission is unclassified, all admission requirements must be
submitted prior to filing Graduate Program of Study and qualifying for
admission to candidacy.
- The department chair (or the department's graduate coordinator, if
so delegated) assigns a three member Graduate Advisory Committee, with a
designated chair who is also known as the major adviser.
- The student meets with the major adviser to review/clarify specific
departmental degree requirements and to plan a preliminary program of
- The student files a Graduate Program of Study which is reviewed and
approved by all members of the student's Graduate Advisory Committee,
department chair, academic dean, and graduate dean prior to the
completion nine (9) semester hours of graduate course work.
- The student receives approval for admission to candidacy from the
College of Graduate Studies. The student is notified of this approval by
the Office of the Registrar.
- The student applies for graduation during the term prior to the one
in which they plan to graduate by the deadline dates published in the
University's Official Calendar.
- The student completes all required course work.
- The student completes comprehensive examinations, special projects,
recitals, performances, internships, etc., if applicable.
- The student completes thesis, research project, research literacy
paper, or field study report, if applicable.
- The department submits completed Verification of Research and/or
Oral/Written Exam Completion Form to the College of Graduate Studies