Skip Navigation

Military and Volunteer Service Deferments

Deferments can be granted one year at a time for a period not to exceed three years while you are

  • On full-time active duty in the armed forces or the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Corps
  • In volunteer service as a member of the Peace Corps or VISTA


  • An officer in the Commissioned Corps of the U.S. Public Health Service

To apply for deferment, complete the deferment form, which requires one of the following to certify your service or employment status:

  • Armed forces - your commanding officer
  • Peace Corps - Division of Volunteer Support, Peace Corps, Washington, D.C.
  • VISTA - Division of Field Operations, VISTA, Washington, D.C.
  • U.S. Public Health Service - Health Resources & Services Admin., Rockville, Md.