Military and Volunteer Service Deferments
Deferments can be granted one year at a time for a period not to
exceed three years while you are
- On full-time active duty in the armed forces or the National
Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Corps
- In volunteer service as a member of the Peace Corps or VISTA
- An officer in the Commissioned Corps of the U.S. Public Health
To apply for deferment, complete the deferment form, which
requires one of the following to certify your service or employment
- Armed forces - your commanding officer
- Peace Corps - Division of Volunteer Support,
Peace Corps, Washington, D.C.
- VISTA - Division of Field Operations, VISTA,
- U.S. Public Health Service - Health Resources
& Services Admin., Rockville, Md.