Law Enforcement Cancellation Provision
You are eligible for up to 100 percent cancellation of your Perkins
Loan for full-time service as a qualifying law enforcement or
corrections officer. Your position must be essential to the agency's
primary mission and the agency must be able to document the your
For the purposes of this cancellation provision, a law
enforcement or corrections officer is defined as a person:
- who is employed by a local, state or federal agency that is
- whose activities pertain to crime prevention, control or
reduction OR the enforcement of the criminal law. Such activities
include, but are not limited to, the following:
- police efforts to prevent, control or reduce crime or to
- activities of courts and related agencies having criminal
- activities of corrections, probation or parole authorities;
- problems relating to the prevention, control or reduction of
juvenile delinquency or narcotic addiction.
Agencies that are primarily responsible for enforcement of
civil, regulatory, or administrative laws are ineligible.
The cancellation rate per completed year of employment is listed
- 15% of the principal, plus any interest that may have accrued
during the year, for each of the first and second years.
- 20% of the principal, plus any interest that may have accrued
during the year, for each of the third and fourth years.
- 30% of the principal, plus any interest that may have accrued
during the year, for the fifth year.
A cancellation period consists of a full year of employment. For
borrowers whose loans were made before Nov. 29, 1990, the effective date
of eligibility is Oct. 1, 1998.