Located in the Margaret Fort Trahern Art and Drama complex, the Trahern Gallery opened in 1974. Since that time it has featured a wide variety of regional, national and international exhibitions. The active, exhibit calendar changes on a regular basis and provides students and the community the opportunity to view quality, original artforms, first-hand. Gallery hours: 9:00 am – 4 pm, Monday through Friday.
February 16 - March 11
GREGORY BOTTS: Painting Along the Road
For the last 12 years, Gregory Botts has been criss-crossing the nation with a car loaded full of art supplies, painting the sites and varying light he encountered. At first begun as a clarification of the larger abstract works that he was making in the studio, these paintings have grown into their own body of impressive works that feed and inform his larger body of work. Austin Peay State University’s Trahern Gallery is proud to host the first large survey of these works in connection with his larger studio paintings.
This exhibition tells his adventures, and gives witness to his commitment to experiencing firsthand the landscape that has become the subject of his work. Paintings from Vermont, through Pennsylvania, to Florida, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado and finally California will take viewers on a tour through some of America’s most beautiful and desolate landscapes.
Gregory Botts will give a Lunchtime Lecture in the Trahern Gallery on Monday, February 16 at 12:30 p.m. An opening reception will take place Februrary 16 from 5 -7 p.m. with the artist in attendance.
February 16 - March 11
Gregory Botts: Painting Along the Road
Featuring the plein air paintings of Gregory Botts
March 30 - April 17
Annual Student Exhibition
Juried exhibition of work by APSU Art students
April 27 - May 1
Senior Design Show
The purpose of the Trahern Galleries is to promote the mission and vision of Austin Peay State University by hosting engaging and thought-provoking exhibitions of artworks:
- That provide important learning opportunities for students
- That serve to energize and maintain a high level of student engagement.
- That support the University’s commitment to collaboration, critical inquiry and cultural diversity
- That are meaningful to the University’s location, identity and mission
- That feature important artists whose work embodies the highest standards of excellence
- That celebrate community by also featuring works created by students, alumni, faculty and supporters
- That highlight the diverse disciplines practiced and taught at the University
- That promote an understanding of the arts
Stay informed of upcoming events by to join our mailing list