Education Goals for an APSU Art & Design Major
The Department of Art seeks to provide an opportunity and favorable conditions for students to construct their own education in order to enter a chosen profession, undertake advanced study, or develop an avocation for lifelong creative expression. Given this opportunity, each student should demonstrate:
- the use of appropriate visual elements and principles of design in the production of artworks, using them to organize, analyze and interpret visual information;
- the basic technical skills of at least one of the studio areas in the department, including technique, materials, and discipline-specific strategies;
- the writing skills necessary to communicate effectively with a specialized audience about their own work and the work of others;
- a basic knowledge of significant works and movements in the history of world art, as required to succeed in a sophomore survey;
- an advanced comprehension of two focused topics in art history as a context for their contemporary creative practice;
- effective participation and presentation of work and of basic professional practices in the discipline;
- an ability to cultivate personal ideas and interests through problem-solving and critical analysis.
The Department of Art's vision is to provide a structured, creative environment that enables students to ask questions, solve problems, and take risks as they gain the knowledge, skills, and attitudes for a meaningful and productive life as global citizens.