Carrying on the tradition
Austin Peay State University has created an indelible sports legacy within the Clarksville community over the years. Since 1963, when the University became a member of the Ohio Valley Conference, APSU has compiled 35 regular-season championships in 11 sports. In addition, the Govs and Lady Govs have claimed 15 tournament championships in five sports.
The tradition of athletics is strong here. In the early 1970s, fans lined up for hours to watch the legendary Fly Williams on the basketball court. Members of the community still reminisce about those days while they talk about the team’s chances for another March Madness appearance in the nationally televised NCAA Tournament.
The name of the late Coach Bill Dupes continues to be revered by football fans in the area. They turn out to Governors stadium on Saturdays, hoping to see the same magic that first brought them to the games in the 1960s.
“Let’s Go Peay” isn’t simply a funny cheer – it’s a hallowed tradition. The people of this community believe in their Govs and many have supported them for decades. Over the years, they’ve seen former student athletes carry on the tradition of excellence in the big leagues, such as defense tackle Bonnie Sloan becoming the first deaf player in the NFL, or A.J. Ellis helping lead the L.A. Dodgers to victory as the team’s catcher.
But in order to continue this great tradition in Clarksville, and to let it thrive, we need your help. It’s as easy as becoming a corporate sponsor – which means putting your business’s name prominently in front of thousands of loyal fans each year.
The opportunities to become a corporate partner are plentiful. Below are a few options that might fit into your marketing strategy.
• Signage – Have your business’s name prominently placed at APSU’s many sports venues, including:
• Governors Sports Network – As a partner, your business’s name will announced repeatedly during radio broadcasts of APSU sporting events.
• Fishing Tournament Sponsor – The annual fishing tournament brings in crowds of sportsmen every year. Wouldn’t you like them see your business’s logo during that weekend?
• Governors Golf Classic – Sponsor a hole or sponsor a team to remind the community of what your business offers.
• Celebration of APSU Women in Athletics – Become a "Founding Donor" to this important endowment today.
• Game sponsors – By sponsoring a sporting event you’ll get to remind fans exclusively that you, too, care about their Governors. And loyal fans become loyal customers.
• Website – As a corporate sponsor on APSU’s athletics homepage, your business is displayed prominently on a page that receives numerous hits a day. And website marketing can be used as a link to your website and used to promote your product and company.