Skip Navigation


If you have questions please contact Geraldine Garner #7373 or Rosemary Knickerbocker #7698.

This overview has been designed as a guide for any APSU employee or group designated to travel. Please be aware that policies and reimbursement rates are subject to change and will be updated in the Policies and Procedures Manual. Anyone needing further information should read the official Travel Policy 4:016.

Who Is Authorized to Travel?

Travel that may be authorized, and pursuant to which expense may be reimbursed, shall be limited to the following:

  1. Travel that is necessary for the proper execution of official APSU educational, research, or other institutional objectives;
  2. Travel to and from meetings and conferences of a professional nature, which will increase the attending employee’s usefulness to the University;
  3. Travel by prospective employees may be reimbursable based on the provisions of APSU Policies 5:010, 5:005 and 4:017. Persons who incur travel expenses as a faculty recruit should request reimbursement based on this policy and in the amounts authorized in the referenced policies.

Reimbursement for travel expenses shall be allowed only for actual expenses incurred, subject to the maximum limitations shown on the Travel Reimbursement Rate Schedule. Original receipts must accompany claims for reimbursement for all expenses cited on the Travel Reimbursement Rate Schedule. The exceptions to this rule are for meals, taxi fares, tolls and ferry fees with no receipt required. Lodging receipts are required and must itemize room charges and taxes.

Permission to Travel

Verbal permission is sufficient only if your destination is within Tennessee, and advance payment is not requested and travel is not funded by a grant. An Authorization of Travel (TA) is required if a travel advance is requested for any portion of travel (whether in state or out of state), travel will be funded by a grant, or the travel destination is out of state.  The TA must be on file in the Business Office two weeks prior to planned departure. 


Approval for your travel and travel reimbursement must be obtained as follows:

  • Faculty and Staff - your department head, dean and vice president, as applicable;
  • Senior Administrators - The president;
  • Grant Funded trips - In addition to the above, grant funded trips also must have the approval of the manager of grants and sponsored programs;
  • Out-of-Country travel -The president and written approval from the chancellor;
  • Students - Authorization for travel by a student, regardless of the destination, shall be approved by the president or the president’s designee.

Travel Advances

Normally, travel expenses should be paid when incurred by an employee, with reimbursement made to the employee for actual expenses upon proper submission of a claim for travel expenses. Advances to employees for anticipated travel may be under the circumstances listed below:

  1. Permanent Travel Advance - See travel policy for detailed explanation.
  2.  Temporary Travel Advance - When temporary travel is authorized the employee may receive an advance, provided a request for the advance, including estimated expenses, is submitted to the appropriate approving authority and is approved. An amount equal to 80 percent of the estimated expenditures will be allowed as an advance. However, no advance less than $100 will be made. Students traveling under individual authorizations or an employee traveling with a student or students who is responsible for disbursing all funds for the trip may be advanced 100 percent of the amount of the authorization.

Corporate Cards

Corporate cards are made available to designated employees, with the employees personally responsible to the company issuing the card for all amounts charged to the corporate card. Applications for these cards are available in Human Resources.


All travel must be by the most direct or expeditious route possible, and any employee who travels by an indirect route must bear any extra expense occasioned thereby.

  • Taxi fares, tolls and parking fees - Receipts for reasonable taxi fares, tolls and ferry fees are not required for reimbursement. A receipt is not required for parking fees $8.00 and under.
  • Mileage - Point-to-point mileage is calculated using the website If you do not have access to the web, you may call the travel clerk for mileage information. (Rand McNally Mileage Calculator)
  • Vicinity Mileage - Miles driven that exceed allowable point-to-point mileage are considered vicinity miles. Vicinity miles should be shown separately from point-to-point miles on the Claim for Traveling Expenses form.
  • Personally Owned Automobiles - If an employee uses a personally owned vehicle for personal convenience in the performance of official duties, reimbursement for business mileage will be at the rate provided in the Travel Reimbursement Schedule.
  • Motor Pool Vehicles - When transportation is by a motor pool vehicle, tolls, parking, gasoline and storage expenses are allowable. Emergency out-of-pocket expenses, such as towing or emergency repairs, will be reimbursed but must be accompanied by proper receipts identifying the automobile and itemizing the services.
  • Air Travel - The employee’s copy of the ticket or a copy of the itinerary indicating the price of the ticket must be submitted for reimbursement of air fare. Arrangements have been made with certain travel agencies to bill the University directly for airline tickets. For this to occur, an approved airline authorization form must be obtained from the Business Office and presented to the travel agency prior to obtaining the ticket. The employee’s copy of the ticket or itinerary must be submitted with the travel claim, even if the ticket was paid for by the University.
  • Vehicle Rental - Charges for automobile rental shall be allowed whenever it is more economical than alternative methods of transportation or it is the only practical means of transportation. Charges for insurance for rental automobiles are not reimbursable. Whenever possible, employees should refuel before returning vehicles.


In-state and out-of-state lodging expenses incurred while on authorized travel will be reimbursable to the maximum shown on the Travel Reimbursement Rate Schedule. Sales taxes on lodging costs will be reimbursable. Higher rates for lodging at the location of a convention or conference will be allowed, without special approval, up to the amount indicated in the convention or conference brochure.  The convention or conference brochure that indicates the lodging rates must be included with the travel claim.

Meals and Incidentals

Meals while on authorized travel will be reimbursed, subject to the meal allowance provided on the Travel Reimbursement Rate Schedule. The maximum per diem rates include a fixed allowance for meals and incidental expenses (M&I). The M&I rate, or fraction thereof, is payable to the traveler without itemization of expenses or receipts. Incidentals are intended to include miscellaneous costs associated with travel such as tips for baggage handling, phone calls home, etc.

Miscellaneous Expenses

  • Personal Expenses - Expenses for entertainment, laundry, valet service, tips and gratuities, etc., are personal expenses and will not be reimbursed in excess of the incidental portion of the M&I rate.
  • Registration Fees - Registration fees for approved conferences, conventions, seminars, meetings, etc., will be allowed including cost of official banquets and/or luncheons, if authorized in advance by the appropriate approving authority and provided receipts are submitted with the travel claim. Registration fees may be prepaid if they are submitted to the Business Office with an approved Travel Authorization, a Request for Advanced Registration Payment completed and the registration forms attached.
  • Telephone, Telegram and Fax Expenses - These expenses will be allowed provided a statement is furnished showing the date, the name and location called and the nature of the business. Charges for necessary local calls on official business will be allowed.


The standard form for Travel Expense Claims shall be used for reimbursement of expenses. The form must show detail of expenses on a daily basis, be typed or completed in ink, signed by the employee and be approved by the appropriate approving authority prior to reimbursement. Signatures on travel claims must be original. Original receipts for appropriate expenses must be attached to the form. Claims for travel expense reimbursement should be submitted no later than 30 days after completion of the trip. Claims submitted after this period must include written explanation for the delay.

Travel Reimbursement Rate Schedule

The maximum reimbursement rates for out-of-state travel are the same as those maintained by the US General Services Administration for federal employees within the continental United States (CONUS).

The CONUS list contains a standard reimbursement rate for lodging, meals and incidentals and several pages of exceptions. Most destinations for out-of-state travel fall within the list of exceptions. The CONUS list is available on the General Services Administration web site:

General Reimbursement Rates

Standard Mileage Rate$0.47/mile
Maximum Parking Fee w/o receipt$8.00/day
Fees for handling equip/prom material$20.00/hotel

Lodging and Meals:

Visit TBR's business and finance travel policy for the most up-to-date information: 

*See CONUS for applicable rate. 

Reimbursement of meals will not be permitted unless overnight travel is involved.

International Travel - Expense Calculator
The Travel Expenses Calculator helps you claim your expenses by using the historical exchange rates in effect on the date of your receipts, and integrates hidden foreign exchange charges.

Notice: The TBR travel rates for In-state reimbursement have changed effective October 1, 2014.

Level I Counties and Cities

Davidson County

Day of Departure and ReturnMaximum LodgingMaximum Meals and Incidentals
75% of M&I$132.00 + tax$66.00


Level II Counties and Cities

Anderson County, Shelby County, Knox County, Hamilton County, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Sullivan County, Williamson County, Montgomery County, Putnam County, Rutherford County, Washington County (Includes Paris Landing, Montgomery Bell, Natchez Trace, Pickwick, Fall Creek Falls, and Henry Horton State Parks)

Day of Departure and ReturnMaximum LodgingMaximum Meals and Incidentals
75% of M&I$107.00 + tax$46.00


Level III Counties and Cities

All other counties and cities not listed above

Day of Departure and ReturnMaximum LodgingMaximum Meals and Incidentals
75% of M&I$83.00 + tax$46.00

Any travel dated October 1 and after will be reimbursed by the new rates. Travel already submitted prior to October 1 will be reimbursed at the old rates.

For details on which TN counties are in Level  I,  II  and III  please see APSU’s Travel Policy then follow the link to TBR’s Travel Policy.