Skip Navigation

Information for Active Duty Military and Veterans

APSU Military Coin
For active-duty military, reassignment and deployment are facts of life. That's why we offer numerous courses – and entire programs – online. It's also the reason we offer out-of-state fee waivers to active-duty soldiers.

If you're stationed at Fort Campbell or retired in the Clarksville area, you also will be able to take advantage of the many programs offered at our Austin Peay Center @ Fort Campbell and on our main campus, which is located just a few miles from post.

Admissions Checklist

Submit an APSU undergraduate admission application

  • You may apply using the Online Application for admission and readmission 
  • All active duty, national guard and reservists of the Army must apply for admission at (Do not use the APSU application for admission if you are seeking Tuition Assistance)
  • A $25.00 non-refundable application fee (payable one-time only) is payable online. (Not required of Active Duty Military)
  • Application Deadline -- All required information must be received prior to admission, evaluation of transfer credit and registration.

Request Required Transcripts

Official college transcripts, high school transcripts or official GED/HiSET scores - Request official academic transcript(s) be sent to Austin Peay directly from any high school and/or college(s) attended or GED/HiSET testing center. Hand-delivered transcripts are not acceptable. You may print our Transcript Request Form and send it to your previous institutions.

Request Required Military Documents

The following required documents are to be sent directly from the issuing agency, except for DD Form 214.


Joint Services Transcripts (JST) (also referred to as AARTS transcript - Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System )

Air Force

Transcript from Community College of the Air Force

Army National Guard

Joint Services Transcripts (JST) (also referred to as AARTS transcript - Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System ) OR Enlistment Contract 4-2


Joint Services Transcripts (JST) (also referred to as SMART transcript)

U.S. Marine Corp

Joint Services Transcripts (JST) (also referred to as SMART transcript)   

U.S. Military Reserves

Copy of Enlistment Contract 4-1 or 4-2 or DD Form 2586, Verification of Military Experience and Training (VMET)

Army, Navy, Coast Guard and Marine Reserve personnel can also get a Joint Services Transcripts (JST) 


  • DD Form 214 (Member Copy 4) Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty of Service. Must have Characterization of Service on Form.
    DD Form 214 - Retired or Discharged Military. When a person attended APSU as an active duty soldier and then returns to APSU as a Veteran, he or she must submit a copy of DD Form 214 (Member Copy 4), even if an AARTS or DD 295 is on file. This may be submitted at the APSU Center at Ft. Campbell or the main campus.
  • If you do not have this form: It may be obtained from Tennessee Dept. of War Records or the State Veterans Office of your home of record.
  • To obtain copies of documents such as military course completion certificates, Academic Evaluation Reports (DA Form 1059), and Certificates of Separation from Service (DD Form 214), Veterans should contact the National Personnel Record Center at 314-801-0800, or online at, or submit written requests to:
    • General Services Administration
      National Personnel Records Center
      ATTN: Military Personnel Records
      9700 Page Boulevard
      St. Louis, MO 63132

Placement Assessment Test

Find out whether you’re required to take the assessment test. The test is designed to help you succeed in college studies. It provides you and your academic advisor with important information about your individual skills, your preparation for the program or degree you wish to pursue and about your special educational needs. Test scores will assist your advisor in placing you in courses most suited to your preparation and needs. In short, the test is the first step toward achieving your academic goals.

Tuition Assistance

If you have any questions about Tuition Assistance, please contact your military unit. For any questions about making payments, please contact the APSU Business Office at or (931) 221-7671.